Onboard Audio Static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldernon

Baseband Member
I recently finished building my system and now am noticing a random static noise in the background. Im using an Asus P6T mobo with Built in audio, no sound card.

Its like a small buss sound that fades in and out quickly. A Static-ie zap if u will... I dont know how to describe it, but im pretty sure its the same noise I got on my old board. Installing a sound card made that noise go away.

Ive updated the drivers, any ideas?

Could be the connection on your speakers might be old or something, I remember I got pretty bad static when I kept unplugging my headphones from a jack and they got worn down, other than that, I'm out of ideas.

I have the same problem with my audio on the P6T. It doesnt matter which port its from, either rear or front jacks, headphones or speakers...

With mine the static noise fades in more when i move the mouse. I havent found a fix yet either...

Unfortunately these are just the problems associated with running onboard sound.

Best bet is to grab a cheap sound card. A used XFI or something....

Sorry for the late reply. The static has gotton worse. Am i really to believe a $350 motherboard is supposed to have TERRIBLE static? Seriously?

-EDIT-

Here is the situation. There are other problems like this on the forum, and nobody has any clue what the deal is...

Computer:

Asus P6T Mobo
48701GB
6GB DDR3 OCZ Platinum
920i7
corsair 750 psu
hatachi 750gig HDD

All this stuff is new, and its all high end. Im running stock everything, latest drivers. I have very nice sony headphones, $200. They sound awesome everywhere else. They are plugged directly into my mobo.

I notice when there is hard drive activity, the static changes in frequency. If I have no windows open, and am just on my desktop, the noise goes away. If i open a window, it returns.

I know buying a sound card will likely solve this issue, but my problem is that my motherboard is supposed to be "High End". $350 isnt chump change, and should buy more then awful sound. Ive contacted ASUS and have not gotton a response, that was about 2 months ago.

Please if anyone has any serious/reasonable ideas please post them :D

Thank you again very much.

Don't double post please, just edit.

It sounds like the motherboard is faulty. I've never had static problems with any of my motherboards with onboard sound.

Dont take it back! Its a simple fix, i found it:

1) Open the "Sound" profile in Vista's control panel.

2) Double click the "Speakers" selection.

3) Click on the "Levels" tab.

4) Find the entry titled "PC Beep". Mute this entry by clicking on the blue speaker icon to the left of the "Balance" icon.

That fixed mine, so hopefully it works for you too.

pull your speaker/headphones out - take 99% (Or as close as you can possibly get) rubbing alcohol (at your local medical shop - walgreens, hyvee, etc, any place they have first aid supplies) and using a Qtip or cotton swab dipped in the alch- rub it all over the connector.

It will basically kill anything living on it (germs etc) and help get rid of oxidation (from multi plug ins and such) you can put it in "wet" but don't have your computer on if you do, drips may occur.

If you put it in wet- twist it around - your cleaning the inside of the port this way. If not- I doubt it's messy anyway being a deep small port.

Plug back in when dried (or about 15 minutes just to make sure the port is dried if you put it in wet - take it out and let it dry for 15) then try it again - see if the static is gone or at least lessened.

The reason to use 90+% is it's purer and better for cleaning electronics - 70% will suffice though. And the reason I use it is because it evaporates quickly (5 minutes should be plenty - 15 is to be 1,000% safe) and leaves no residue that other cleaning chemicals might. I use it to clean Xbox360's as well as many other things - and 99% is a great thermal grease remover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom