Older stuff new build

TheDrunk

In Runtime
I am putting together the following

1x PFsence box,
1x NAS box
1x Media server ( ie Windows 7 media center)
1x win 7 gaming rig

I am looking for to build all these with either ther LGA 775 or the AMD 939 quad core plus, 16Gigs ddr2 ram on each, and also hot swapable HHD treys on the NAS, and also on the Gaming rig. I shall list each and plans for each

PfSense box
Motherboard ( Uknown)
AMD 939 quad core 3.2Ghz i belive 6400
I shall only do 8Gigz ddr2 ram
4x Pci slots to use one of the gigabyte dual band dual ethernet cards,
3 ether net dual nic's
I think i will go with a 500g HDD
I need suggestions on motherboard. and processor.... I liek AMD but know the power of a good intel processor.

1x NAS box
Motherboard unkown.
AMD or LGA and dual or quad. am not sure but i want fast capibilities.
4 pci slots, so I can have additional either E-sata to use external HDD trey or USB to use external HDD trey.
hot swappable HDD 3.5" slots x3
single or dual ethernet on board. but am thinking of using a dual ethernet NIC as not to wear on the onboard componets.

1x Media server ( ie Windows 7 media center)
mother board unknown
am not sure what i will do with this one, i know quad core or better,
ram 8-16 Gigs,
going to have 2 TB HDD onboard due to putting most of my movies i watch on device with others i see on NAS HDD trey. so this one is really up to what you guys belive form exp will run best.

Gaming rig,
Motherboard asus dual processor, 16Gigs ram, PCI-e v2, audio card ( 9.2 capibilities to match my modern rig)

asus board?
video card?
how much HDD space do you think i will need?

these are projects I plan on completing after june, I am trying to make a shopping list, and I am doing it old school because honestly for 200$ i can get each system to do what it is ment to do versus 500 persystem.

Honestly, for $200, you can get a single machine and use VM to host several of these. A buddy of mine just setup Untangle, a DHCP server, and OpenMediaVault all on one machine. OMV has plugins for NAS and for Plex, so it's a multi-purpose. If I recall correctly, he's running all of this on a Dell Optiplex 9010.

there is two parts ot this,

I can run all on my HP 100-023w
The point is to build older systems, that i can set up a network and also have a network for my school projects with out having to use VMware.

there is two parts ot this,

I can run all on my HP 100-023w
The point is to build older systems, that i can set up a network and also have a network for my school projects with out having to use VMware.

In the real world you would be using VMWare though (or some other hypervisor or VM layer) :p.

MEH... Carnage.. I figured you would like the idea of making the best systems got eh socket...

They will perform for there tasks as needed, and i wont have ot split hairs wiht my resource3s on doing multiple vm wares here and there.

Plus it gives me a chance to make a profile of custom cases and some how to's and in october when i get my school fund ot build new computer i can do a modern build these are just projects, where i am moving to MI the landlord pays electricity and is aware of my technophilism. so im not worried about that. gives me something to do which is fun and usefull systems i can take advantage of through out my day

Back
Top Bottom