Old Power supply Guide (2008)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Updated Power supply guide

There are many bang for your buck power supplies and I won't list them all, and enough praise has already been given to silverstone among the other top three or four brands.

I may add it later, but not today.

well ive been waiting for atleast over a month for it to be added, and i even provided charts proving its superiority over the 520hx at a cheaper price.

Explanation: Qouted right from PC Power And Cooling: Power Supply Myths Exposed!
"With all the hype about multiple 12-volt rails (ads claim that two rails is better than one, five is better than four, etc.), you'd think it was a better design. Unfortunately, it's not!

Here are the facts: A large, single 12-volt rail (without a 240VA limit) can transfer 100% of the 12-volt output from the PSU to the computer, while a multi-rail 12-volt design has distribution losses of up to 30% of the power supply's rating. Those losses occur because power literally gets "trapped" on under-utilized rails. For example, if the 12-volt rail that powers the CPU is rated for 17 amps and the CPU only uses 7A, the remaining 10A is unusable, since it is isolated from the rest of the system.
Since the maximum current from any one 12-volt rail of a multiple-rail PSU is limited to 20 amps (240VA / 12 volts = 20 amps), PCs with high-performance components that draw over 20 amps from the same rail are subject to over-current shutdowns. With power requirements for multiple processors and graphics cards continuing to grow, the multiple-rail design, with its 240VA limit per rail, is basically obsolete."

word up....that's exactly why i bought the 550vx instead of the 520hx...and puh-lenty of amps to run SLI gts 512's

If you wish for something to be disproved proof with source must be linked.

I will edit your post again when you chose to bring fourth a source.

The Strider does not say what the total actual amperage comming off the 12v rails are but I assume that it is around the same as the Corsair if not a little less.

Reviews from johhnyguru's high dollar strider model say that the rails are a bit shaky at high loads compared to the charts of a 520HX which stay consistent all the way through. Not to mention the Corsair has a higher efficiency and comes with a 5-year parts and labor warranty compared to SilverStone's 3 year. Not to say that the Strider is a bad PSU at all but considering that you can find the 520HX on zipzoomfly for the same price as the Strider's lowest price anywhere else (not newegg) the Corsair wins in all aspects.

Once again I'm not dissing on the Strider I am just saying the 520HX has comparable amperage, more stable rails, a higher efficiency, and a better warranty for the same price.

Actually you can get a 520HX shipped at 99.99 with the super shipping saver option. Thats 15 bucks cheaper than a 600w Strider shipped.

+3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 +12V4 +5VSB -12V -5V
Max.(Amps)
33A 24A 13A 18A 16A 8A 2.0A 0.5A /
Peak (Amps)
/ / 18A / / 13A / / /

it does show the amps there they are copied right from the table. it has more amps then the 520hx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom