okay... noob extreme here

Status
Not open for further replies.

theone_trent

Baseband Member
I have been told that inserted video cards can eat up your memory, which seems true because my computer was great until I got a v card, but then I got it now I can't run any cool games... :rolleyes: I was also told that motherboards come with v-cards in it so it doesn't take up the memory your computer uses to run programs or games, is that true? If so, should I get a new motherboard and get rid of my older v-card, or just get some more memory? If anyone needs any information or numbers, other than my checking account and ss #, on my computer I will get it.

Thanks for helping the no0b,
Trent

Ok, first of all we need to know the specs of your computer, ex what video card do you have, your motherboard, how much memory you have, etc.

You actually have it backwards - a motherboard with integrated video will actually do WORSE than having a motherboard and separate video card. This is because when you have a separate video card, the video rendering is done directly on the card, and doesn't use up as much memory. (So you have it backwards) If anything, you should invest in a better video card (thats why we need to know what card you have)

explanation for noobs :)

without needing to know your config, let's see if this info helps you out

You need a vga interface to display images, without one you would not see anything on your monitor.

Motherboards can either have a vga interface (along with the needed chips) integrated into the board or not. VGA integrated into the MB is usually of AGP origin, this can confuse some as it can also be a slot. But I believe with AGP came vga integration, before which there was none. If I'm wrong oh well ;p

Integrated VGA shares system memory, up to a certain amount and usually limited to 128 megabytes. You usually allocate memory usage via BIOS. Starting at around 4 megabytes. Integrated VGA tends to be very rudimentary, not possessing the greatest 3d processing power.

External VGA comes from the PCI or AGP cards you can buy. I will not mention any older slot techs as that would be pointless. These separate cards many times still, require minimum system specs. External VGA cards can also be purchased to basic visual display or for advanced geometry processing for games and workstation usage. Memory ranging from 4 mb to 4 gb, etc.

In theory, NO add on vga card should slow down a system.

OR in simple words,

You got it backwards because intergrated video cards use SYSTEM memory[RAM] while external video cards usualy comes with their own memory[I.E.: eVGA 7900GT KO Comes with 256MB of GDDR3.. just an example.. or, Sapphire X1900XT comes with 512MB of GDDR3]

The reasons why your computer is slowing down could be:

A. Reasons regarding to the new V.Card:

1) It takes up too much power, creating a power loss for other parts of the pc, and not performing at top speeds aswell because its not getting enough power either.

2) Its actualy a slower card than what you had before.

3) Bad drivers install, try to uninstall them, clean them using a driver cleaner utility, and then reinstall drivers of another version (Can be obtained in the manufacturer site)

B. Problems disregarding to the new V.Card:

1) A Virus got into your compuer [or a spyware] causing slowdowns.

Thats whatI have in mind ATM..

-Jo.

Well I think the reason my computer is running slow is because it was corrupted by a magnet. I found a magnet inside my computer, BUT a guy I know is going to help me build a really cool computer in exchange for saxophone lessons for his son! How cool right? Yeah it's cool, because I've been playing saxophone for almost 6 years now. I have a compaq, and the guy said that if I add anything to this computer it wouldn't help out for what I want to do with it. I will let you all know what is going to be in my new computer, but all I know is that I have a really cool deal!

A magnet? How did a magnet get inside of your computer, and yes, that will fug your HDD up and possibly your other components.

JoshSB said:
A magnet? How did a magnet get inside of your computer, and yes, that will fug your HDD up and possibly your other components.

Not to blame anybody without full reasons, but I think the guy that fixed my computer either put it in there on purpose to "fug" my computer, or put it in there by accident. I think if you put a magnet in the computer while it is off and you're work on it, there is a lesser chance of anything shocking you.

infiltrator7 said:
mmmm, i don't think so lol. a magnet will do nothing to lessen your chances of being shocked.

Oh... so yeah... that stinks. :( Well, I get a new custom-made computer now! :D Pretty much for free, except for my time spent teaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom