Ok, so concerning my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikaricloud

Golden Master
I have been working on a new build for quite a while now, taking into account the new stuff that comes out. With the arrival of the i7, I feel that I've waiting long enough, and I'm ready to seriously consider purchasing this stuff.

Now, I have most everything, but I want opinions one what I have so far, plus I'm a little torn between some parts. Here's what I have so far:

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - Silverstone FP35B USB 2.0 Card Reader with extra silver front panel - Card Readers

Now, I was looking at a couple of VelociRaptors in RAID for my OS. I think I'd prefer those to a SSD, but I'm not sure about cost versus performance. Opinions?

Also looking for a PSU. So far, this one has caught my eye. Opinions or other suggestions would be great.

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Video cards, possibly looking at dual 260 core 216s. Partial to XFX, but open to suggestions.

Also, I'm torn between a few cases. I looked through literally 500 different ones and these stick out. Opinions?

Newegg.com - Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases (leaning towards this one.)

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS S RC-1100-KKN1-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Thermaltake SwordM VD500LBNA Black/ Silver Aluminum Extrusion ATX Full Tower Liquid Cooling Computer Case - Computer Cases (I doubt I'm going to get this one, but jesus look at the way it opens! it's sweet!)

I want to run a nice sound card as well, but it's not needed right away. I do a lot of music related stuff in the ways of creating and in the future, recording. So I want good sound. Suggestions for good cards for Vista?

Sorry about the long post.

Edit: Oh right. Also need water cooling. I'm not very learned on that whole process, so recommendations?

In regards to you case selection, I have the older version of the Armor and I love it. The drawbacks are it is huge (not a drawback in my opinion but I had to modify my desk to get it to fit) and it is heavy. Mine loaded down with parts is perhaps 50 pounds. You have room for everything.

I did really like the roomy aspect. Especially since I'm going to need space for the water cooling unit stuff.

I have the XFX GTX 260 Black Edition and the card is awsome....I can only imagine having those in SLI. :D

I have the XFX GTX 260 Black Edition and the card is awsome....I can only imagine having those in SLI. :D

Yeah, they look pretty good. I was thinking about 280s at first, but they are way too expensive. And if I waited for the 295, I'd want two so I could run three monitors. Too much money. :[

Your build looks fine.. if you need a cheap Primary OS disk.. maybe you can pick up an older 36.6 Raptor drive from Craigslist/eBay etc

You also have an IDE Optical Drive

Your build looks fine.. if you need a cheap Primary OS disk.. maybe you can pick up an older 36.6 Raptor drive from Craigslist/eBay etc

You also have an IDE Optical Drive

Yeah, I haven't changed that yet, haha. I'm gonna edit it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom