OK, I know you've heard this before but.... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default OK, I know you've heard this before but....

Just looking for a quick up down on this idea.

I have an Area-51 that I bought about 3 years ago. It's done well, but I want to get prepared for the future(I'm a FPS gamer), and I'm ready to put my own together.

Is there anything here anyone would change? again, I'm a FPS gamer who wants to run everything at max settings to get the full experience!

ThermalTake Xaser full tower
ASUS A8N-SLI Socket 939 Nvidia MOBO
AMD FX-57 San diego CPU
Nvidia 7800 GTX(just a single GPU for now).
X-fi Fata1ity sound

I was going to move my two 74GB 10k Raptor drives over to the new system in a RAID0 configuration.

Also, move my Corsair XMS 2GB of PC3200LL memory over as well.

What I can't decide on is a PSU. I want nothing less than a 600 watt unit, but when I check out newegg.com opinions on various Enermax, ThermalTake, and Aspire PSU's, I see several DOA's, and units that fail after a short time.

I've had various Dell, Gateway, and Alien PC's over the years, som that stayed on and running for literally years without being powered down, and I have never had a PSU failure.

is it just part of the higherpowered PSU's and the fact that you are pussing them hard in a high end game system?

Any recommendations for rock-solid PSU's?

Thanks so very much....

Old 12-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Since it seems money isnt really an issue, get this one
not much, if any, are better.

Old 12-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to The Kraut

Check this one out http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merch...ct_Code=100663 .
Better sig coming soon.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanks for the ideas, folks.

I've decided on the OCZ. great reviews across the board from every source I can find.

thanks again!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The OCZ is a good choice... you might want to look at the Seasonic 600W reviewed by tom's hardware guide #1 in the 600W+ category.

Also read up on the ASUS board and Fatality sound cards. There are serious compatibility problems I recall reading. Check out the Asus forums for this card and read some of the stories there. Mind you the people that write there are having problems (you don't hear from the people who are not) but it's worth boning up on the subject before you lay out your cash - then you'll be the one writing on the Asus forum about your problem. Good luck.
Closed Thread