Status
Not open for further replies.
95vi8y.jpg

Mmmmmm...

1427thv.jpg

Donut Bacon Cheeseburgers...

95vi8y.jpg

Mmmmmm...

I see some french fries in there too...I ate a hamburger bacon cheese taco last night at TGI Fridays. And I thought I was just going to get a beef taco you know... like the title says. The description was in spanish...I should have known. Screw TGI fridays.

I see some french fries in there too...I ate a hamburger bacon cheese taco last night at TGI Fridays. And I thought I was just going to get a beef taco you know... like the title says. The description was in spanish...I should have known. Screw TGI fridays.

Yeah, you obviously don't know that in most of the world, "chips" refers to french fries.

No, oil cooling a PC is not a practical thing to do. I used to own an old Volkswagon (air cooled engine) I really miss that car. My point is; most of us who own a PC also have air conditioning in the summer months when things tend to get warm out. Myself I have a LAN room in my house and I keep it cool year round. The oil would be a mess to work with as many times as I have to open my cases and poke around inside. Heat sinks and fans are cheap enough, cheaper than 10 gallons of cooking oil.

If anyone reading this has plans to make a oil cooled PC, I would suggest only the powersupply, motherboard, and cards be submerged. Leave the drives and other items high and dry. Run cables out of the tank were needed. I have seen the ones that build custom clear cases and it looks like crap. I would want something opaque and a heat probe inside just to monitor the temp.

My brother just did an oil submerged rig, and yes, it is a HUGE headache.

Not all hardware is "oil ready" too, so you might just waste money on that aspect.

Plus the oil does warm up over time, and it can really screw with your CPU and cause random shut-downs. We added an over sized aerator which definitely helps keep it cooler but it also makes quite a bit of noise, though it's low so it's good background noise.

And also, yes it is QUITE a pain if something goes wrong or you need to do any work on it. Cleaning towels got old real fast.

Has the project been worth it? No not really. Modern CPU hardware is typically designed to stay open-air with conventional fans and heatsinks, and that's how it's most stable.

Just get liquid cooled heatsinks if you want to do something really fancy.

You do realize you are the sole person on the forums who thinks it's a remotely good idea, right?

I know.. aint it great!?!?!? Besides, MilchstrabeStern said he had a laptop that he uses primarily. Experimenting with something new can be fun. So what if it turns out it dont work. 8 or 10 years ago water cooling was on the bleeding edge. Many thought it was a bad idea and many more had EPIC failures.

Sure, maybe it aint the best idea for your primary pc, but if someone wantd to tinker around with building a second pc, I say "come big or go home".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom