Oh my gawd... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Console Gamer

Default Re: Oh my gawd...

^lol i thought i was the only one who did that

Red Devil 480 / Corsair R270
Sandisk 960GB SSD / 2x Seagate 8tb, 2x WD 4TB
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well, everything seems to be working, although these stock Intel HSF are annoying as heII, first time trying to seat the HSF with AC5 failed, had to clean it off and try again. 2nd time worked, computer is running stable (so far, about an hour of use, ran 3dMark06 and played with Oblivion for a little while).

I love it, although after I finally got everything in place, for some reason it underclocked my CPU! I think it was the RAM, but usually if the CPU was inactive it would sit at 1600MHz, and once something started to run, like a game, it would pick up back to 2400MHz (switched from a 6x multiplier to 9x). But it wouldn't speed up! Freaked me out, after a little playing with the BIOS I got it forced to run at 2400MHz, and so far everything is running okay, just the CPU temps are little high because I think I didn't get a good seat with the HSF again! Either way I'm done messing around with it. I just want to play games and it seems to work.

Although with default setting in 3dMark06 I got little over 8,000 marks in it, which was under what I was expecting which would be 9000-10000, maybe it's because I have not yet overclocked my CPU although I could have swore seeing systems similar to mine running at 9000 marks. Oh well, better than the 3400 marks I've got with my 7600GT.

I need a new HSF, but I just don't have the money, I already spent 10 bucks on AC5 which kind of freaked my mom out because it is so small (3.5 gram version).

Old 07-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
gone

Send a message via AIM to Gabb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Well, everything seems to be working, although these stock Intel HSF are annoying as heII, first time trying to seat the HSF with AC5 failed, had to clean it off and try again. 2nd time worked, computer is running stable (so far, about an hour of use, ran 3dMark06 and played with Oblivion for a little while).

I love it, although after I finally got everything in place, for some reason it underclocked my CPU! I think it was the RAM, but usually if the CPU was inactive it would sit at 1600MHz, and once something started to run, like a game, it would pick up back to 2400MHz (switched from a 6x multiplier to 9x). But it wouldn't speed up! Freaked me out, after a little playing with the BIOS I got it forced to run at 2400MHz, and so far everything is running okay, just the CPU temps are little high because I think I didn't get a good seat with the HSF again! Either way I'm done messing around with it. I just want to play games and it seems to work.

Although with default setting in 3dMark06 I got little over 8,000 marks in it, which was under what I was expecting which would be 9000-10000, maybe it's because I have not yet overclocked my CPU although I could have swore seeing systems similar to mine running at 9000 marks. Oh well, better than the 3400 marks I've got with my 7600GT.

I need a new HSF, but I just don't have the money, I already spent 10 bucks on AC5 which kind of freaked my mom out because it is so small (3.5 gram version).

Only a little over 8000 with a gtx? What processor do you have?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

lmao this is the noobeeeee-yest of the noob. i licious. noob. eeeees. that i have seen in some time.

lol dont tell me that my "unbelievably low end rig" spanks that thing.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
lmao this is the noobeeeee-yest of the noob. i licious. noob. eeeees. that i have seen in some time.

lol dont tell me that my "unbelievably low end rig" spanks that thing.
You're intelligent, I can see it in how you combine your sentences to create words. Unlike the other way around most people do.

Back to my issue. Everything is stock, there is no overclocking. GPU temps are fine, it's the CPU temps, can high CPU temps reduce performance?

I plan on reseating the CPU tomorrow but this is going to be the third time that I am reseating it with AC5. So I have a question about applying AC5. I've read the instructions from AS (http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appi..._dual_wcap.pdf ) in which it said to put the grease in a line so that it matched the actual cores of the chip. That is what I did, but I've heard some people using a credit card to spread it out. Should I put it in a line like in the instructions, or does anybody recommend a different way?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Console Gamer

something is wrong i get 8601 with my e6600 at stock and my 8800GTS at stock
Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I don't think the card is underpowered, it has enough watts but if it is a power issue the only thing I can think of is the amps. My PSU has two 12V rails with 19A each, for a total of 38 amps which, as far as I know, is enough for 1 GTX.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 AM   #18 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
I don't think the card is underpowered, it has enough watts but if it is a power issue the only thing I can think of is the amps. My PSU has two 12V rails with 19A each, for a total of 38 amps which, as far as I know, is enough for 1 GTX.
er I dont think u ever told me what processor you had. For comparison sake I got a 9750 on benchmark 2006 with everything default and I had a defective stock 8800 gtx that ran way too hot, e6600 stock, and 2 gigs of ram
Old 07-26-2007, 02:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Console Gamer

beefcake has an E6600
ALSO you have to give the paste a while before it sets in nice and good
give it a day or two and it should start working better
i would do that before reseating it
Old 07-26-2007, 02:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by fade2black2004 View Post
beefcake has an E6600
ALSO you have to give the paste a while before it sets in nice and good
give it a day or two and it should start working better
i would do that before reseating it
in that case his score is about 2000 too low compared to my defective 8800 gtx and a stock e6600 with no thermal paste to speak of...( no longer have this computer btw, I returned it to build one myself )

Closed Thread