Office Computers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Office Computers

Hi I am new here,

I need help coming up with a budget minded solution to sharing a program or syncing the specific programs information between 2 computers. Ideally I would like this done without the internet and third party programs. I have thought about maybe 2 monitors and 1 modem though I'd like them to work independently.

I work in a doctors office and we have a practice management program (input of patient information and insurance etc). What I would like is that if I made a change or added a new patient on 1, I would like it to also show up on the other.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Wetgeckos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Office Computers

Does your office management software use a cache system - for dual or multi-users? If not, I bet you can contact the software company and they will sell you a update software package to use with your current software to link the 2 PC's so that you can use both PC's at the same time doing different thing and then at the end of the day - the cache ( or data) will show all work done.

Even my old office software ( so old it can only use win7 32 bit after the latest upgrade) does this easily.

acerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the reply!

Though ideally I would like the 2 comptuters to sync the patient info in real time. To work as one? c
Old 07-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

hmmm. i know that is possible , but would be above the software I use- like I said mine is really old, originally not even written in windows - but in Dos. I would contact the vender to see if that capability is in the system you have.
acerinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I was thinking a network of some sort.

Thank you for help though!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

IMO, a database would maybe be the best bet... but if the software you have can't interact with a DB, then you could always have a central server networked in and have the systems share the data off of that. Then you can always backup from 1 place (the server) to have a running / incremental backup in case data loss happens.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am not a techie of any sort so "network" is the only thing I can come up with to describe what I'm thinking.

A data base or central server may, but both I would need to do some researching a bit. But I appreciate the insights!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Well, depending on how the software runs / uses the data records, IMO a database would be the best thing to have implemented. That way the changes are real-time/immediate and the database would handle deadlocks on the data more effeciently (a deadlock is if 2 or more systems try to interact with the same data; e.g. if both of your systems try to write data for the same patient at the exact same time... unlikely but possible).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote