Are OEM products a big problem for a first time builder? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2006, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Are OEM products a big problem for a first time builder?

So I finally ordered all my parts for my new computer!!! There is a good amount of buyers remorse right now, but once I get it up and running I think I'll be very pleased that I went ahead and did it. I have a question though, I purchased 3 OEM internal Hard drives (2 Sata and 1 IDE) and 1 OEM DVD Writer Drive. Is this a huge problem and will make it difficult to build my computer now? I did not know they were OEM when I purchased them online and was very disppointed when I found out today when I got them and saw what had happened. I am going to try to get a refund so I can find retail products because the OEM ones don't come with any cables, manuals, disks, or mounting brackets. I've never put a computer together so I don't know what the importance is of having reatil products rather than OEM, but it seems like it'd be easier with retail products (unless you already have everything else, which I don't). Please let me know what you guys think and I'd really appreciate it.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master
Send a message via AIM to Sora

Well if you had bought 1 hardrive and 1 cd oem it wouldnt be too bad as most motherboards come with the cables to support at least 1 of each some supporting more. You could have always just bought a few extra cables for like 2 bucks each and it woul;d come out cheaper than original

E6300 w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7 @ 3.6ghz 1.4Vcore
Antec 900 Case
EVGA 750i FTW Mobo
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 12-30-2006, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it's not bad at all that you got those OEM. the premium you pay for retail versions is so inflated. your motherboard should have two SATA cables and probably two IDE (a.k.a ATA or PATA) cables which is enough to attach these.
Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

my abit mobo came with 4 sata and 2 ide.
my dvd burner, hard drive, and windows xp are all oem.
i was worried, "there's no BOX"...woe is me.
they work fine. and if you don't have the cables, you can find them at pretty much any (respectable) shop.
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 12-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

I used all OEM in my build , that way was a whole lot I used about 3 items that had rebates{case, ram,power supply}

In case you have not noticed....I'm a cheap
Cooler Master CM Stacker Case
Asus P8Z68 V Pro/Gen 3
Intel i5-2500K
Cooler Master V6 GT Heat Sink
8 GB G-Skill DDR 3 1600
Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
Grado RS1i & AKG Q701 Headphones
MAD EAR + HD Headphone Amp
Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Western Digital Black 500 GB
Crucial M4 64 GB SSD For Windows 7 64 Bit
Samsung 2494SW 24" LCD
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech G110 Keyboard
Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Alright, thank you everyone for your replys. I feel a little better now about having OEM hard drives and dvd writer. Yet, is there anything that I'm going to need for them other than cables. Is there anything I should get to mount them in the case or any drivers or such? I believe the case I got comes with mounting brackets, but I'm not sure if there's anything else I would need to get in order to install them into the case.

this is the case I got:

anyway, again, thank you very much for all your responses, it really helps me ease my mind knowing that I haven't just made things much harder on myself.

Closed Thread