Odds and Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

ren0nie0

Baseband Member
Parts for my first build have almost all been purchased. I just have several minor issues / questions :
1. will it really be nessecary to buy windows. can't i just use the recovery disk from my laptop or something???
2. dx10 cards are coming out soon, right? so i was thinking of buying a evga 7900 gt then using their trade up program to get a dx10 card .. it's only valid for 90 days. will this work?
3. my mouse and keyboard are wireless with usb reciever. will i need to purchase a mouse and keyboard to connect to the computer to setup bios??

cmon help me out on these borderline stupid questions/concerns!

1. Yes you wil have to get a copy of Windows to load your system. unless you had an actual full disk the recovery won't work. It will be missing several key files you need for a full (new) load.

2. Don't hold you breathe on the DX10 cards... Supposedly they are not coming out until Vista does, and that's next year.... If your worried about it, then you coud possibly get a cheaper card. Then when they DO come out, get a good one later on.

3. Once Windows does its initial load of drivers it should see them. but this one I cannot say for 100% certainty... I don't use wireless KB/M... Anyone??? [Looking around the forum... :)]

1.i thought dx10 cards were in september. what's a cheaper/ comparable card to the 7900 gt?
2.so windows will load before the bios? i thought i would have to setup the bios before anythingelse which would require a keyboard, no?
3. i'll have to buy windows... is there any other way????

no dude bill gates isnt that stupid!!! just spend the 80 bucks and get the copy. You cant just pirate windows. LOL

well the wireless should work but like said above no guaruntees. If you are going to play a lot og games ditch that wireless crap. get a logithech G15 or somthin for a KB and a good laser mouse.

buying windows: YES (if your a student than you MIGHT be able to get a freee copy through MSAA)

Do you not have the drivers for the wireless KB/M combo? if not, Windows SHOULD pick them up , but win shoudl do alot of thing that it doesnt and shouldnt do alot of things that it does.

If you really need the drivers, you can go to the manufacturers website, download them, and install them after you purchase and install the OS.

yeah i know windows will pick it up. plus i do have drivers... i just thought you had to set the bios up first before installing windows. in which case you'd need a keyboard connected .. before windows comes into the picture.

I have a wireless KB/M combo from Logitech and I use them to navigate through the BIOS fairly frequently.. sometimes I have to restart a couple of times, but usually it picks up fine (deltet to enter bios + navigation adn also F8 for boot menu both get picked up)

Tox1cThreat said:

Do you not have the drivers for the wireless KB/M combo? if not, Windows SHOULD pick them up , but win shoudl do alot of thing that it doesnt and shouldnt do alot of things that it does.

thanks for the sig quote :)

Tox1cThreat said:
I have a wireless KB/M combo from Logitech and I use them to navigate through the BIOS fairly frequently.. sometimes I have to restart a couple of times, but usually it picks up fine (deltet to enter bios + navigation adn also F8 for boot menu both get picked up)
I think you're missing the point here.. he doesn't have Windows installed yet, and he was wondering if he'd be able to use his wireless keyboard (Which is connected via a USB reciever) BEFORE he installs Windows. Meaning.. WITHOUT drivers installed for the keyboard OR USB.

I think it's better to be safe than sorry, and just borrow a mates keyboard, or go buy a cheap $5 one. (Can't hurt to have a spare anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom