Odds and Ends - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Odds and Ends

Parts for my first build have almost all been purchased. I just have several minor issues / questions :
1. will it really be nessecary to buy windows. can't i just use the recovery disk from my laptop or something???
2. dx10 cards are coming out soon, right? so i was thinking of buying a evga 7900 gt then using their trade up program to get a dx10 card .. it's only valid for 90 days. will this work?
3. my mouse and keyboard are wireless with usb reciever. will i need to purchase a mouse and keyboard to connect to the computer to setup bios??

cmon help me out on these borderline stupid questions/concerns!

Old 07-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again

1. Yes you wil have to get a copy of Windows to load your system. unless you had an actual full disk the recovery won't work. It will be missing several key files you need for a full (new) load.

2. Don't hold you breathe on the DX10 cards... Supposedly they are not coming out until Vista does, and that's next year.... If your worried about it, then you coud possibly get a cheaper card. Then when they DO come out, get a good one later on.

3. Once Windows does its initial load of drivers it should see them. but this one I cannot say for 100% certainty... I don't use wireless KB/M... Anyone??? [Looking around the forum... ]

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

1.i thought dx10 cards were in september. what's a cheaper/ comparable card to the 7900 gt?
2.so windows will load before the bios? i thought i would have to setup the bios before anythingelse which would require a keyboard, no?
3. i'll have to buy windows... is there any other way????
Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

no dude bill gates isnt that stupid!!! just spend the 80 bucks and get the copy. You cant just pirate windows. LOL

well the wireless should work but like said above no guaruntees. If you are going to play a lot og games ditch that wireless crap. get a logithech G15 or somthin for a KB and a good laser mouse.

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tox1cThreat

buying windows: YES (if your a student than you MIGHT be able to get a freee copy through MSAA)

Do you not have the drivers for the wireless KB/M combo? if not, Windows SHOULD pick them up , but win shoudl do alot of thing that it doesnt and shouldnt do alot of things that it does.

If you really need the drivers, you can go to the manufacturers website, download them, and install them after you purchase and install the OS.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

yeah i know windows will pick it up. plus i do have drivers... i just thought you had to set the bios up first before installing windows. in which case you'd need a keyboard connected .. before windows comes into the picture.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Future ex-member

Send a message via MSN to lancec2c30

well that is true, cant you just borrow someones KB for like 20 min to get through BIOS?

XP Pro | Vista Home Premium | Linux Ubuntu 7.10
s939 X2 3800 Toledo @ 2.6ghz | evga 7900gs | 320gig + 80gig wd | 1gb Ram | Abit KN8 SLI
3.1ghz achieved. :cool:
70K F@H member..............still waiting for the "iRACK"

Norcent will not be forgotten.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Tox1cThreat

I have a wireless KB/M combo from Logitech and I use them to navigate through the BIOS fairly frequently.. sometimes I have to restart a couple of times, but usually it picks up fine (deltet to enter bios + navigation adn also F8 for boot menu both get picked up)
Old 07-24-2006, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Static_11 Send a message via Yahoo to Static_11

Quote:
Originally posted by Tox1cThreat

Do you not have the drivers for the wireless KB/M combo? if not, Windows SHOULD pick them up , but win shoudl do alot of thing that it doesnt and shouldnt do alot of things that it does.
thanks for the sig quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tox1cThreat
I have a wireless KB/M combo from Logitech and I use them to navigate through the BIOS fairly frequently.. sometimes I have to restart a couple of times, but usually it picks up fine (deltet to enter bios + navigation adn also F8 for boot menu both get picked up)
I think you're missing the point here.. he doesn't have Windows installed yet, and he was wondering if he'd be able to use his wireless keyboard (Which is connected via a USB reciever) BEFORE he installs Windows. Meaning.. WITHOUT drivers installed for the keyboard OR USB.

I think it's better to be safe than sorry, and just borrow a mates keyboard, or go buy a cheap $5 one. (Can't hurt to have a spare anyway)

Closed Thread