OCing & Peltier Cooling Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so I've done some research, and I think I know what I need for a water cooling system.

-CPU & GPU Water Blocks
-Clear Tubing
-Resivior
-In Line Water Pump
-Radiator
-Probably some large quiet case fans.
-Water Addative

Is this everything, and also on the note of the modified HeaterCore, Ive seen some products offered that look very much like the HeaterCore that Nubis provided for about the price it would cost me to mod/paint one. I was wondering if the performance on these radiators is as good as the modified heatercores. Lemme know. Besides that I was also thinking about a clear cylindrical resivior like this one I like how it looks in other peoples systems. Any info on parts and supplies and instalation would be appreiciated.

well instead of a reservoir you could do a T-line

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=9/25117374143.jpg&s=x4

the part with the bubbles in it, is the T-line....that pic was taken right after I had re-set up the water cooling for this particular motherboard so the system was still bleeding itself (getting rid of the bubbles)

T-line will save you some space.

As for water, you'll just need distilled water and 5-10% of anti-freeze or zerex, which is basically anti-freeze but it's supposed to be the best out there for make sure your water stays clean.

There are heatercores out there, but there are different ones.

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=48

That right there is a heatercore and it's very similar to the one I got, but in reality there is a difference. It's a 1977 bonneville heatercore like mine, but this one is model number...ehh actually I forget...mine is 2-302 which I said in an earlier post...it's a bit thicker than the one you see in that picture there which is basically the only difference..

Also of course you'd want to try and get the copper heatercore for better transfer.

The only place I know of that sells modded 2-302 heatercores is a dude named 'weapon' over at xtremesystems....he even makes a custom CNC machines shroud and puts in 5/8" barbs in his heatercore...I also modded mine with 5/8" barbs, slightly bigger than 1/2" which is generally the standard.

But if you don't feel like modding and you can find a decent heatercore for a good price then go for it.

Heatercores generally outperform radiators quite easily.

Radiators you have one pipe that just goes back and forth which is surrounded by (generally aluminum) fins for heat transfer and of course the fans blowing on it cool it down.

With a heatercore...it actually goes through really thin fins, instead of a winding pipe....this effectively cools the water more efficiently because the water is thinned out so more of the water can get the benefits of the fans cooling it...with the single pipe winding around, it's like tube steak in a microwave (except we're talking about cooling but the principle exists) the outside would be cooled first and the insides might not get cooled at all....with it going through the tiny flat fins of a heatercore each bit of the water is more likely to be cooled.

now what this translates into in terms of actual cooling difference....well you'd have to do some tests with a radiator, then a heatercore in a computer and find out for yourself. Basically I'm saying I couldn't give you an exact number

Well firstly thank you for the T-line suggestion, after looking in my current case I really dont think I have room for a res in it (Not to mention there is really no place for the rad but I can mount that externally, strangely enough the 30.00 case I bought has tube access on the back panel for tubing.) Also ... I saw some "radiators" that look exactly like the modded Chev HeaterCore. This one looks very similar. and it says "80 mm (3 inch) Copper core consisting of flat tubes for maximum heat conductivity" Im guessing the flat tubes are like the fins in the HeaterCore. I dunno ... the HeaterCore you said cost about 25.00 USD and Im looking at at least 10.00 USD for the supplies to mod it (I have acess to a tourch and the infinant wisdom of a hardware store so I will have help soddering the Male ADPTs). Tell me what you think about what I linked up there

Yeah, the flat tubing would be better than round tubing that's normally associated with rads, I honestly wasn't aware of the latest rads having that.....only the outside looks similar though. Theres flat tubing that winds back and forth in that rad, and what you're looking at on the outside there is fins that simply attach to the flat tubs...in a heatercore, there is no tube, it's nothing but fins...and the water passes through each of those fins, get what I'm saying when it comes to the differences?

I did the cold solder method....just used some JBweld and that's pretty much it...of course mine looks ghetto because I didn't paint it or anything lol, but meh, it's not like you can see my heatercore anyway.

I've attached a very crude drawing of basically what the waters doing...on the left is your normal rad, on the right is your heatercore....one has fins simply attached to tubing to take away heat, the other the water actually flows through the fins themselves.

Attachments

• heatercore.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 32
Alright then, there's an auto-supply store right next to the hardware store I work at so Ill check out the HeaterCore tomarrow and see what they come up with, I think I might try the tourch soder method cuz I can do it at work when I get off. Im worried about the case size now ... I dont think it will be big enough to fit the heatercore, pump, even with a t-line ... and I also wanted to use a res cuz ...well I think it looks cooler :eek: ... gonna put a window on this thing some time. Any way ... Im looking for a black square case WITH NOTHING FANCY ON THE FRONT ... dont know how many times ive seen a good case ruined by hideous plastic ortiments... look for something with like 4-5 expansions and a vent on the bottom for the heater core ... lemme know if you have any suggestions

http://www.vvcclan.com/lan_3.htm

Thats pics of the 3rd LAN this year...we hold a monthly one down here...anywho, you can see my computer in there, at the time I'm missing the top two front plates and you can see straight in and see my heatercore, it's the 4th picture down and says "Josh the Overclocker's machine with custom watercooling!!!" below it, that'd be me :D

But if you look 3 pictures below that one, you'll see one of 2 watercooling setups my friend (main runner of the LAN) has...it has the dragonmodz sticker infront of the res...it's a really trippy pic the way the water is flowing, so yeah having a reservoir generally does look cooler, but I wanted space and didn't want to have to worry about something else leaking.

If you look even further down, two more pics below that reservoir, you will see that same friends main computer case..the giant cube complete with watercooling. He's got the same setup except he's using 2 radiators like the one you posted.

Other than the rads we have the exact same parts, but he's all about aesthetics so his case actually looks cool :p I'm not partial to UV lights and green though, it's really overdone.

Aaaand of course below that is your typical LAN nerds those are the only ones who stayed around by the end of the night :)

as for a case I really don't know...been a while since I've looked into cases...mines a thermaltake...it had that ugly plastic front door but I removed it because I hate those doors. Mines a full tower steel case though so it weighs like 60lbs+ it's a pain in the ass

This is an excellent thread. I learned a lot. I'm still an freakin' noob on these topics though.

"Todd's watercooled Cube is freakin' sweet." I love the way that looks. What are the specs?

"Todd's watercooled Cube is freakin' sweet." I love the way that looks. What are the specs?

1gb Kingston HyperX
3000+ Winchester
DFI Ultra-D
X800XL

couldn't tell you the PSU

Water cooling parts:
TDX CPU Block
MAZE4 GPU Block
D4 Pump
Tygon/Clearflex tubing (believe he's got a little bit of both)
T-Line
and 2 blackice single 120mm radiators.

He no longer has that reservoir you see all lit up in that 2nd picture of his cube though...but yeah like I said he's more about aesthetics than me, so his case does look nice...hell though having the cube alone makes it cooler, but the UV lights and liquid is added bonus.

he LOVES green in case you couldn't tell.

He knows how to overclock but doesn't, says he 'doesnt have the money to back something up if it fails' but hell...if it fails you RMA it, that's my motto :p

That cube is by far the sweetest **** thing Ive ever seen in my life. Also ... wheres a good place to buy cases I need a larger one to accomidate what I want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom