OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jspot

In Runtime
Are there any programs I can use to OC my dell ( please no crap about a dell) and can I use the AM2 CPU in a different MB?

You can't overclock it becuase dell mobos will be locked and not allow it. Yes though that was my next statement if you want to OC get a new motherboard.

In a Dell, you could use software overclock. I'd recommend ClockGen, but I'm not sure if it will work with socket AM2. If you can change the memory speed through the BIOS (should be possible, even in a Dell) then you could very well do decent overclocking.

when I enter BIOS it nothing can be changed .... so clockgen ... well I might try that I have an AM@ 5000+ at 2.6 GHZ wanna see what I can do. the thing is dell uses 533 MHZ RAM .

Yes, the 533Mhz RAM will be your biggest obstacle. Without access to a memory speed selector, every Mhz you push the FSB beyond 266Mhz will also overclock your RAM by the same amount. I predict you'll be able to get 50Mhz tops out of that RAM.

Getting a different motherboard won't help you at all. You need either access to memory speed selection (ie: RAM multiplier) or faster RAM.

Edit: By the way, MemSet allows to change RAM latencies from windows. It's possible there's a tool that will let you change the RAM multiplier. Google is your friend.

You can't expect to Overclock that much on 533mhz RAM. Since you already have 4 gig's your best bet is to just not worry then, That CPU is fast enough stock. I Can't tell much of a difference from stock 1.86 than when I have it at 3.2ghz right now with my E6300. In the end its more for the benchmarks.

I used clockgen and got my CPU to 2.93 but my 533 RAM was running at 293 from 261 MHZ was stable but kept getting errors trying to Bench mark

Phrantic You'll need to download a pirate BIOS... which voids your warranty if I'm right.

lol pirates what will they come up with next... i didn't even no about those, but use clockgen even though u wont get much out of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom