Nvidia Taking Over - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #61 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Personally, i'm hoping ATI comes out with a better card than the current G80.

This is how i see things. When my card (X800XT) came out, i heard nothing about nVidia. It seemed (read: may not have been true) that ATI was king. Then nVidia comes out with the 7xxx series and blows ATI away. They catch up with the x1900's but currently nVidia holds king as they just came out with the first DX10 card. Seems to me it's ATI's turn to reign king for a generation.

Thinking about all this, it's all so frivolous. We banter back and forth about ATI vs nVidia and just all this BS, but look how long these products last. The 8800 just came out. In a year's time, they'll probably have a 9800 out. Only a year! We could spend that whole year bickering and it wouldn't matter until we had the actual product and results (ie. benchmarks) in hand (or on HDD, whichever ).

Old 11-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #62 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Agreed. I think I'll settle this debate and say next years nvidia 9800 (lol my second to last ati card was a 9800 pro!) will blow both the current gen cards away. Disagree with me, I dare you!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #63 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

actually, I did hear a rumor a few months back that Nvidia are already planning their 9800.
It's still a rumor though.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #64 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I wouldn't doubt it. G70 was already being designed before NV40 (GeForce 6) was released, so I'd assume they're doing the same thing now.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:31 AM   #65 (permalink)

They never really stop developing cards. As each new generation comes out, wouldnt it make sense to have already been working 1-2 generations ahead? Get a framework down, help you to be the quickest. Wouldnt work for these companies to just say, ill wait for AMD to come out with their equivelant to start working on what we will reply with.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #66 (permalink)

Originally posted by TriEclipse
I wouldn't doubt it. G70 was already being designed before NV40 (GeForce 6) was released, so I'd assume they're doing the same thing now.
It's always like that when something is so big it could cost the company. Zelda twilight princess was in it's beginning development about a half a year before the gamecube was released and it just came out last week. Any project like that can make or break a franchise

Old 11-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #67 (permalink)
Camera junky

ya and its not even on the game cube so i gott go out and buy a wii

intel Core I7 4770k@ 4.0ghz-Nvidia GTX980-MSI Z87G45 mobo-8gb ddr3 Corsair Vengeance Blue-ADATA SX900 128gb ssd 2x in raid 0 500gb hdd and 1tb network drive- EVGA 750w bronze-NZXT RAZER H440 LE-55 inch samsung 8000 series LEd-BENQ XL2411Z-Logitech z906 THX 5.1, Microsoft sculpt KB Razer NAGA 2014
Old 12-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #68 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I think this competition stuff is good.
It seems they both are always on the same track (not like Mac and Microsoft) They never really think to be innovative.

But i mean wow, the 8800 series is SOO powerfull. Its unlike anything i thought it would be like, Its not like the difference between the 6K and 7K series. Its a whole new card.

But when i look at ATI's Card.. all i can think is... $$$$, money.
Performance = Price.

Closed Thread