Nvidia SLI question please read!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Nvidia SLI question please read!!!

Ok First i would like to begin with the computer Stats. I have a Evga N-Force 4 mother board with an
AMD 3000 1.8gig over clocked to 2gig
2gig o RAM
256 Nvidia 7300 GS Video PCIE card
and 256 Nivida Geforce 5500 PCI Video card

My question is since i have 3 Flat Panel Monitors and I want to use them in Span View mode i have 2 on one video card and 1 on the other i have 2 on span view and what i would get all 3 span. I would like to play games on all 3 when its supported. If i get 2 SLi cards would it support it or would i have to get the Matrox triple head to make it work.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Wow....maybe i should proof read before i post...i guess i shouldn't type when i am tired.

Any way...bottom line....would SLI work with 3 monitors in span mode or should i get the matrox triple head for the monitors to work in span mode???

Let me know if i am not making any sense

Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I think SLI works for up to 4 monitors in any mode you want.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

You just set it to how ever you like.

You can make it so your monitors are lined up, and have them display diffrent screens, OR you can have them all display the same thing.

Nvidia makes it really easy to configure evreything to how you like it.

May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face, and may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars
Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks guys you just saved me a bunch of money.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

its not SLI that works with 4 monitors, its 2 video cards........and whats the point of sling 2 cards if ur going to waste their combined power on 3 monitors? remember in sli the video card has 130% performance, which is gonna be used on 3 monitors, it would be better if u used the 2 cards seperately, without losing that 70% performance, so 50% for 1 monitor, 50% for 1 monitor, and 100% for the other.

i think.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Good point...what i want to know is would i be able to span across them. Example...You can play Tomb Raider Legends on multi-monitors right now i have 2 in span mode on one video card so it just makes one big one and the 3rd just sits there not doing anything because its on the 2nd video card. Would I be able to span it on 3 instead of having 2 in span mode and the last in extended desktop if you know what i mean. From what i see on the Matrox triple head all i need is my current video card and i could connect all 3 monitors to make one big one and span what ever i want to all 3 monitors and play games like so http://www.matrox.com/graphics/offho...aming/list.cfm
Old 06-29-2006, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Man, that triple monitor looks kind of crazy but the edges would bug me.

Closed Thread