Nvidia Rebrands 8800GS to 9600GSO

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Expreview Source

When GeForce 8800GS got launched, it is an unpopular product. NV's Dev team tried hard to keep its performance when shrinking it from a 8800GT, but because the lack of propaganda (yes i mean the leak slide, screen shot and spy pic), mainstream market can not accept this product in a flash.

Today, The card's performance and price are similar to 9600GT's. (Related: G80 VS G92, med to high end GFX cards round-up). So NV is going to change the name of GeForce 8800GS to 9600GSO, in order to Classify the card into the GeForce 9 series. From it's current price and the new name we can sure the card will market target will be a little lower than 9600GT.

Also, G92 will be reflashed with the 55nm processing in July. We can expect some new GeForce 9 cards will be launched with the new 55nm G92, which can lower the core temperature and rise the core clock.

Nvidia has too many models out. What ever happened to the days when they sold like 3 cards for each generation and that was it? They have numbers for every possible spec now and I think it's a bit overkill.

lol! the 7800 vanilla owns the 7950 chocolate :D

But ya, it's a good idea kind of to rename this product... When i first saw the 8800 GS price and performance i was like "WOW what a great budget build card! I wouldn't mind having one."

Hope it works though... ha

I guess since I actually have a true 8800gs, its going to become a rare item? Increasing value for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom