NVIDIA GeForce 9900 Series Set for July Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't understand why they don't just try to make single cards smaller for there can be more stuff packed into them...instead of making them bigger and promoting sli and tri sli.

why do you say this?

the 8800GTX/Ultra has had one of the longest lifespans for any piece of hardware that I can imagine

Not counting the 9800GX2 (because it's really an SLI card) - the 8800GTX, to date, is the most powerful graphics card you can buy for high resolution gaming (forget the Ultra, it's just an overclocked GTX). It holds well against all its new counterparts. For a card that was released in November 2006.. that's really quite an accomplishment I think. I can't recall any other card lasting this long, and consider that it will still be on top until the 4xxx and 99xx stuff come out

So I assume that when the 9900GTX comes out, if it's really that much of a leap in performance, it'll probably be a good investment that'll last (heck, if I don't have to change my graphics card in 2+ years knowing it'll always be on top, I don't mind spending $500+)

Thats exaclty my point, look at how long the Ultra lasted vs how long the Gx2 will last. Yes the Gx2 will still be a dam good card even a year from now, but the fact that you pay 600$ for a high end card just to have it drop in price 3 months down the line is extremely fustrating. Yes we knew the GT200 were coming, but did we know that a single GPU solution would beat out the GX2? or that there was another GX2 coming out this soon? no! Thats why so many people are ****ed, they wasted 600$ on a card that they thought would be #1 for a little longer 3 months just to be told that the newer cards will be much more powerful. Yes its the story of technology, my 8800GTS 512mb dropped from 359.99$ to 240$ in 3 months, but its only a GTS.

As far as SLI is concerned, read the review of the Quad SLI GX2 and they will mention how much of pain it was to get some games to work properly with SLI. Almost not even worth the hastle in some cases.

Ah well. Either way, untill SLI works like it Should, bug free and smoothly, no thanks.
I hope they can work it out. I dont mind moving to a dual GPU, if its worth the kind of money they charge for it, and wont cause me more problems than I have with a one GPU solution, on ANY games that I want to play.
I just hope it doesnt take them another 5 years.

the 9800gtx is a failure to me... the 9800gtx X2 isnt impressieve to me cos its 2 gpus in one.
But the 9900gtx is suppose to be better than the gtx X 2, which im really looking forward too...and then the 9900gtx X2..man thats just a lot of power.
And i think these are going to have some of the same stuff they used with the older gts models which i think will consumer way power power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom