nVidia GeForce 8 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember hearing this about DX8, when DX9 was coming out. I find that very hard to believe because it would be a very stupid move by the computer industry. I can see them restricting DX8 cards from working with DX10 made games, but not DX9. There are a lot of people who have spent a lot of money on DX9 cards, and are not going to be spending more money on a DX10 card.
Dude its a lost cause. Ive been saying this since freakin januay and these ppl wont listen at all. Just give it up, and let the idiots argue amungst themselves while we sit back and KNOW whats going on.

BennyV04988 said:
wikipedia is not reliable for information. Its a really just a forum without the discussion. Anyone can post anything on that site.
True, but note that it's patrolled for bad info an vandalism, and most of the stuff in that G80 article was listed in a rumours section, and the rest was derived from official news posts. :p

P.P. Mguire said:
Dude its a lost cause. Ive been saying this since freakin januay and these ppl wont listen at all. Just give it up, and let the idiots argue amungst themselves while we sit back and KNOW whats going on.

heres more FACTS:

to make things simple, we'll use variables instead of actual game titles, and variables instead of actual video cards, but we'll stick with XP / Vista for the operating systems in question.

GPUdx9 = directx 9 video cards. the current ones. like the 7800gtx
GPUdx10 = directx 10 video cards g80 / ati whatever
GAMEdx9 = current games
GAMEdx10 = future games
XP = windows xp
vista = windows vista

here are compatible combinations that are set in ****ing stone:

Vista / GPUdx9/ GAMEdx9
Vista / GPUdx10 / GAMEdx10
Vista /GPUdx10 / GAMEdx9
XP / GPUdx9 / GAMEdx9

here are what we should all hope for:

Vista / GPUdx9 / GAMEdx10 (with graphics turned down, like we can do with dx8 gpu's and dx9 games now)
XP / GPUdx10 / GAMEdx9
XP / GPUdx10 / GAMEdx10

and last but not least heres whats awesome:

OpenGL

I'm not going to bother arguing the other ones, but

XP/GPUdx10 is totally out of the question. DX10 needs various Vista subsystems to work, that "is set in ****ing stone." So you can forget about DX10 games on XP.

Green Radience said:
I'm not going to bother arguing the other ones, but

XP/GPUdx10 is totally out of the question. DX10 needs various Vista subsystems to work, that "is set in ****ing stone." So you can forget about DX10 games on XP.

1. No where in my post did i say that was set in ****ing stone, i said we should hope for that.

2. why would nvidia release dx10 video cards that,, you say, will not work in anything other than windows vista, BEFORE windows vista is out?! if they are going to sell useless hardware, then they should just sell me belgian waffles, at least those taste good.

3 Since the geforce 2, or around that time, nvidia has developed linux drivers for their video cards. are you saying that just all of a sudden, after hiring 500+ employees, they're just going to fire them because their new video card REQUIRES vista "subsystems" (whatever the **** you mean by that) to run?

4. XP / GPUdx10 / GAMEdx9 will work, just like how we can play our dx8 games with our dx9 card, without having to install dx9.

5. NVIDIA (OR ANY COMPANY!) would NEVER release a product that is dependant apon another product that hasnt been released yet! THEREFORE we can conclude this: when the geforce 8800gtx comes out, you will be able to stick it in your xp box, and get super fast performance in current dx9 games, and THEN after a few months when MS releases vista, you can upgrade to dx10 SOFTWARE and play the new dx10 games as they come out.

I don't care how ridiculous it is buddy, it is what it is, and its not going to be any other way. If you don't believe me, then go ask Mr. Gates himself. I know you didn't say it was set in stone, but now I'm telling you that I'm saying it's set in stone.

Yes, you will be able to play DX9 games with a DX10 GPU, but you will not be able to play DX10 games on a DX9 system (WinXP).

From what i heard, you can still use the g80 on xp. The GFX card will just emulate dx9, so they can play BOTH dx9 & dx10 games, and run both dx9 & dx10 OS's. Dx9 games will play on vista, once again, it will just emulate dx9. DX10 Games WONT play on XP.

the general said:
1. No where in my post did i say that was set in ****ing stone, i said we should hope for that.

2. why would nvidia release dx10 video cards that,, you say, will not work in anything other than windows vista, BEFORE windows vista is out?! if they are going to sell useless hardware, then they should just sell me belgian waffles, at least those taste good.

3 Since the geforce 2, or around that time, nvidia has developed linux drivers for their video cards. are you saying that just all of a sudden, after hiring 500+ employees, they're just going to fire them because their new video card REQUIRES vista "subsystems" (whatever the **** you mean by that) to run?

4. XP / GPUdx10 / GAMEdx9 will work, just like how we can play our dx8 games with our dx9 card, without having to install dx9.

5. NVIDIA (OR ANY COMPANY!) would NEVER release a product that is dependant apon another product that hasnt been released yet! THEREFORE we can conclude this: when the geforce 8800gtx comes out, you will be able to stick it in your xp box, and get super fast performance in current dx9 games, and THEN after a few months when MS releases vista, you can upgrade to dx10 SOFTWARE and play the new dx10 games as they come out.

2. No one said that. They said you need vista to run dx10 games. Not vista to run a dx10 card.

3. Again no one said g80 wouldn't work with xp.

4. Yea, we said that.

5. Once again no one said g80 would need vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom