Nvidia 8800 GTS or ATI 2900 HD???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom360

Beta member
Sorry if I sound like a noob but I am not architectually familiar with what is more important, the amount of GDDR memory or the number of stream processors. the clock speeds of both cards are similar, but the Nvidia has 96 stream processors while the ATI has 320, and the Nvidia has 640 GB of GDDR3 while the ATI has 512. I am getting ready to build a system based on a dual core chip, SLI or Crossfire board Raided HDD and lots of memory but I am not convinced with the debates that I hear on NewEgg and not one at the PC shops know what they are talking about. HELP!!

I will probably go with a 2.5 x2 AMD athlon chip (cheap), asus striker board because of the 3 pci slots and its fast, dual 2GB of Mushkin pc3200 and 600+W power supply but I don't want to skimp on the video because the system is mostly for gaming.

Isn't the ASUS Striker, an Intel board? And IMO, the Striker, is not really worth the money. There are, alot of cheaper boards, that will perform, just as well.

edit: Agreed with psp_crazy1. Why not the Seagate 320gb? It's only $13 more, for 70gb more of space.

Isn't the ASUS Striker, an Intel board? And IMO, the Striker, is not really worth the money. There are, alot of cheaper boards, that will perform, just as well.

edit: Agreed with psp_crazy1. Why not the Seagate 320gb? It's only $13 more, for 70gb more of space.

i'll edit it and add it to the list. BTW, what is your price limit/budget???

but the Nvidia has 96 stream processors while the ATI has 320, and the Nvidia has 640 GB of GDDR3 while the ATI has 512

GTS has 24 Texture Units
XT has only 16 Texture Units

GTS has 20 Raster Operators
XT has only 16 Raster Operators

So, it is untrue that HD2900XT is better than GTS in everything.

HD2900XT is overall not a lot better than GTS, in some games even 320MB beats it.

If I were you I would save $100 and get 8800GTS which runs cooler and consume less power, and should Max all current games.
Newegg.com - EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Agreed with maroon1.

Also, the XT, might have 320 stream processors, but they run at a lower speed, than the GTS's 96 stream processors. Actually, I'm not sure about that. Maybe that only applies, to the GTX's stream processors. Somebody please, correct me, if I'm wrong.

hey psp_crazy1,
That system doesn't, need a 750w power supply. The Corsair 620w will handle that easily. Or even the Corsair 520w.

There is no reason whatsoever to get a 2900 right now. It and the GTS 640 trade blows in benchmarks for different games so they're about equal in performance but the GTS costs almost $100 less. The 2900 also produces a crapload of heat and uses way more power then the GTS. It's either GTS640 or GTX. No argument.

DDR memory? You want a S939 system??? Give budget, get conroe, win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom