which nvida graphics card?? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: which nvida graphics card??

ah thanks guys 460 it is then, and thanks for the fast reply

Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Techie

One of the things I've noticed about Nvidia's high end cards is that in benches, they almost always have a higher minimum FPS than ATI's (with the latest drivers at least). Which is extremely important. They also deal with tesselation a lot better so they're more future proof than ATI's cards.

But they do run a quite a bit hotter. And as a result you're going to have to be running higher fan speeds which translates into more noise.

It's a trade off. But I have to say I'm very tempted to sell my 5870 and get a GTX480.

- Cooler Master HAF932
- Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0ghz
- ASUS EAH5870 V2 @ 949/1335
- ASUS Rampage II Extreme
- 6GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3
- Windows 7 64bit
Old 07-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
I agree with the GTX460, it is nVidia's best card for the money right now. While it isn't a top notch card, nVidia's GTX480 (their top of the line card) is priced $100 to $200 more than ATi's RadeonHD 5870 which just slightly underperforms the 480 in most tests. Some people have claimed that running two GTX460's in SLI can match or exceed the performance of a single GTX480 while costing less which may be a good choice if you can afford the extra power and space needed for two cards. Apart from that I personally would recommend ATi this generation, I was dead set on a GTX470 but people here swayed me to the 5870 and after reading countless reviews I chose the 5870. I'm quite happy with it, it runs all my games fine and supports triple-monitor gaming. The only thing nVidia has on ATi right now is CUDA which only matters if you're doing high performance computing like Folding@Home or if you're using nVidia's PhysX. nVidia also has 3D Vision but it's for a niche market (same applies to ATi's Eyefinity multi-monitor gaming technology though).
Your right on the 2xGTX460 matches a singel GTX480 for the same price.But why would you do that? First, singel GPU/Card is always better than two and second, when its time to upgrade instead of replaceing both GTX460 you can just get another GTX480 and be good to go.

And I would go with Nvidia GTX470. Cuz tesla is coming in to play in up coming games which is going to be great.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetJimiTakeOver View Post
One of the things I've noticed about Nvidia's high end cards is that in benches, they almost always have a higher minimum FPS than ATI's (with the latest drivers at least). Which is extremely important. They also deal with tesselation a lot better so they're more future proof than ATI's cards.

But they do run a quite a bit hotter. And as a result you're going to have to be running higher fan speeds which translates into more noise.

It's a trade off. But I have to say I'm very tempted to sell my 5870 and get a GTX480.

If I were you I'd wait. ATI's new line of cards is coming at the end of this year.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

^They're being 'announced' in Q4 this year, being released next year. Did some googling
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
^They're being 'announced' in Q4 this year, being released next year. Did some googling
According to the report they said early next year. Close enough ;P

Closed Thread