Novice PC Build- Direction appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaenthusiast

Beta member
Firstly, I would like to express my gratitude for taking the time to evaluate my first build. My intention is to use the system largely for research, gaming, and home theatre use. While I have little utility for Intel's hyper threading technology presently, I would like to have that feature at my disposal in the future. Also, my budget is set at $1,500- $1,800. Some leniency in that budget is possible. I will purchase parts this Saturday/Sunday with luck.

As a side note I have considered the core i7 920, paring it with perhaps, the ASUS P6X58 D Premium motherboard, however once I begin researching consumer reviews I come across many questionable reviews regarding failed RAM modules, DOA boards, issues with setting bios, etc. As this is my first build such reviews elicit little confidence in the socket 1366 compatible boards. Nevertheless, upgradeability is a major concern of mine and as many, or all of you, are aware many of the newer Intel processors yet to be released will be directed at 1366 socket compatible boards and the future of the p55 series boards is largely unknown. What are your thoughts on this matter? What would those of you recommend? Should I upgrade to the core i7 920? And if so what motherboard would you recommend? (and obviously I would need to purchase compatible triple channel RAM to pair with it).

With the research I have conducted and my very limited technical knowledge I have compiled the following configuration:

-CPU $279.99- Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860 - Retail
-CPU Cooling System $34.99- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - Retail
-MOBO $139.99- ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-RAM $95.99- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Retail
-HD $74.99- Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-Optical Drive $29.99- LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer - Retail
-GPU $314.99- HIS H585F1GDG Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card ... - Retail
-Case $139.98- COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
-Power Supply $119.99- CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail
-Monitor (may buy at retail outlet for comparison reasons) $229.99- ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - Retail
-Keyboard/mouse $21.99- Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 B2L-00047 Black 105 Normal Keys 9 Function Keys USB Ergonomic Keyboard and Mouse - OEM
-Speakers $88.99- Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers - Retail
-OS $104.99- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

-Total- $1,681 (if my elementary math serves me right, rounded before shipping and rebates)

While ASRock is considered to be an inferior company, owned by ASUS, by many, and perhaps it is, reviews have been nothing short of outstanding for the ASRock P55 Extreme board, which is why I have selected it. I am more than open to criticism and if those of you recommend a different board by all means please let me know. Once more I greatly appreciate your two cents, it is invaluable to a computer novice such as me. :grin:

theres nothing wrong with 1366 mobos and cpus. all manufacturers will always end up with a few bad eggs as far as their products go, and sometimes people make their own mistakes due to lack of knowledge on the product and when something goes wrong, they blame it on the maker. if you want to stay safe, just stay with known brands.

with that said, if youre really concerned about upgradability, and if you can afford it, the i7 920 and a 1366 mobo would be better because the new 6-core (i7 980x?) will be coming out for that socket.

either way though, the i7 920 will remain a powerful cpu for quite some time, and you can always OC it.

Apologies for not mentioning where I intend on purchasing these items. I will most likely buy from the newegg website. Also, your advice is well reasoned regarding the 1366 socket compatible motherboards Muffin Man. I'm simply attempting not to make any poor decisions regarding parts. I'll certainly look into the 1366 motherboards in a little more detail once I'm off work this evening. Thank you both for your input.

After doing some additional research I have reconsidered my initial cpu and and motherboard selection and have decided to pair an intel core i7 920 with the ASUS P6x58D Premium Motherboard. I have not selected the triple channel RAM to support this yet although I am considering the OCZ XMP Ready 6 GB1600 RAM (OCZ3x1600CVGK) or Corsair Dominator 6GB 1600 RAM. Once more I am open to any advice or criticism.

Excellent recommendation, both cheap and great performance reviews with the above selected motherboard. Thank you all for your help. I believe I'm set. Special thanks to Muffin Man. :grin:

you may want to reconsider the cpu cooler. i just installed this one on my with a core2duo 8400.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

i use the artic freezer on all my other computers and computers that i build for other people. it does work great. but for these newer systems i would consider going bigger. you have selected an awesome case and you have the room to go bigger. alot of the bigger coolers require a mounting plate on the back of the motherboard.

I was actually reconsidering my cooling selection. Thank you for the input.

Would it be worth removing the side fan in that cooler master haf 932 to insert that support bracket however? And would that greatly restrict air flow in the case itself? The cooler master v8 is a beast! =O

yep its big. here is a pic in my antec 200 case. i might add a pci slot fan if it starts to run hot. also i am not using the side panel fan yet. i could use it as exhaust also.

IMG_0531.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom