Novice Needs Help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3nd3

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I am new here and i am wanting to get a new pc, cos mine really blows atm, its a P4 1.8 ghz :] with nvidia geforce fx 5200 128mb :p

hmm. :] i have searched a **** of a lot on the internet, and on ebay etc, i actually bought a pc before i knew a heck about em, and realised i bought a pentium D which nearly everyone says is nothing compared to a core 2 duo =D

so i sent him back ,,, and now am back at stage 1 , found this site , requesting help cos im reli unsure of a lot of things o_O

i think that i want to build the pc myself because it seems there is a lot of factors involved in creating a worth-while pc, rather than have ready made ones which aren't quite to your likings.

I am basically willing to spend about 600-700 pounds. I want a good system which will give me good fps and run smoothly, yes i will consider overclocking if someone will give me enough guidelines, so that i won't be causing the hardware any harm. I want to chose the right motherboard so that i will be able to upgrade in the future and i want nice cooling stuff and quality case so that if i do consider OC'ing it, i will be able to get the most out of it w/o dmge :D thx again, i know i requested a lot :] but all these numbers and **** i see on all these devices , reli doesn't mean as much to me as to some of you experts :confused:

Re: [B]Novice Needs Help :)[/B]

UK, eh? Well, I'm guessing that is somewhere between $1100-1400 USD. For that range, I would suggest a good X38 motherboard (X38 is the chipset type) such as the Asus P5E. Then I would suggest an E8400 or Q6600 depending on if you feel the need for a quad or not. Next I would say that a good video card at that price range would be the HD4850. A Corsair 650tx or PC Power and Cooling 610 would be enough for a power supply. And finally, the rest I will leave to someone else who knows of UK websites and can refer you to actual links of the products.

wow thx for the fast reply :)

already i feel more confident hehe, sounds good stuff so far hmm
whats your opinion on quad? ... i heard that quad isn't really necessary atm, and a duo is actually faster? until they start using the quads efectively? ^^
dunno if this is true hehe

It is true.. but when the Quad is faster... you'll really regret not having gotten a Quad when it was so cheap.. I stand by the Quads (even though I don't have one)

alrite so mate do you agree with the first reply, on what he specified
cos i am putting my trust in this forum , and i will go out and buy the stuff

i just hope all goes to plan (and yea i'll get a quad 6600, after what u just said), thx, i also looked on wikipedia, found out that there is 2 versions of 6600 , one much more expensive than the other (SL9UM (B3) and SLACR (G0)), don't quite understand that.

ok so far we have -Asus p5E-x38? -q6600 processor? -hd4850 (i'm guessing its ATI :)) -Corsair 650tx?
lol, and what about cooling ? :) and a case , i want a well designed case ^^

**please some more input , its all much appreciated

please , can somebody recommend me a decent case for my new pc i'm going to build,;:happy:

NZXT Tempest, Cooler Master RC690, Antec 900. All good Cases. I prefer the Tempest myself. As far as cooling, if you don't plan on overclocking, the retail stock cooler with the Q6600 will do fine. Also, all newer Q6600's are SLACR g0 steppings and they are all about the same price. The different steppings just show which version of the processor it is, the g0 being the latest and greatest. And yes the HD4850 is ATI.

awesome stuff ;) hmm, we have forgotten memory, any suggestions on that?
and it seems many people on this forum are PRO Overlclocking it, like i said , i am willing to take a small risk, as long as its small :) and high change of success. (bearing in mind i have never overclocked anything before).

Motherboard:Asus p5E-x38 (is this crossfire compatible?) CPU:q6600 processor (to be overclocked i think)
Graphics Card:ATI HD4850 PSU: Corsair 650tx

i now have 2 questions , 1) the quad processor, does that mean when i buy it , its 4 processors, or does it mean 4 empty slots, and i have 1 processor, and i would have to buy 3 others :S

2) I live in UNited Kingdom, England. Where would be best to get all these components from :S

look forward to hear from your replies, thank you tech -forum =D

Well, with an Asus P5E X38 motherboard, it is very easy to overclock. I would at this point get a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 heatsink (make sure it is the vertical standing one and not horizontal). All you need to get your Q6600 from 2.4GHz to 3GHz is a small FSB adjustment and usually no voltage changes.

For memory, there is a large selection. G. Skill, OCZ Reapers, Patriot, are all good RAM makers.

For 2GB:
Newegg.com - 2GB (2 x 1GB), DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), Desktop Memory, Memory, Computer Hardware
For 4GB:
Newegg.com - 4GB (2 x 2GB), Desktop Memory, Memory, Computer Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom