Novice Motherboard Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigma62

Solid State Member
I was just curious if you guys could help me out. I'm about to start building a computer, and I was just wondering if I'm ok using DDR2 DDR2 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 1000 RAM in my MOBO with a memory standard of DDR2 1066. I've gathered that it works the other way around, that you can use memory with a lower speed than your MOBO, and it will run with what is supported by your MOBO. I just don't know if it works the other way and I want to make sure before I waste my money. Here's a link to the MOBO / RAM I'm getting.

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131340
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231145

Also, if I can even do this, Would it be that much of a performance downgrade from 1066 to 1000? Should I just stick with the 1066 even though it is more expensive? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

links dont work, but yes the ddr2c 1000 ram will work fine. if you mobo states 1066mhz ram, it will run anything under. and most of time it will anything over anyway. just have to set it yourself in the bios.

no probs, but i suggest u link em agen becuase we can help u decide if they are good or not given ur needs.

i suggest you get a 790gx motherboard, this one is a great 790gx for the price.
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards but if u really need to save the extra $20 go for a 780g like this
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA780G M2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

ram is good but i rec. u just get a ddr800 kit becuase tighter timings are better performance wise for amd's then speed.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
those Black PI's use the same memory chips as the Pk's but these are rated at tighter timings and have a lower voltage for even more overclocking potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom