Not up to date on processors - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Red face Not up to date on processors

I used to do a lot of research on the core 2 duos and even built an old e6600 and e6700s computer for someone. Since then I know they came out with the e6750 which were just supposed to be slightly better versions of their previous counterparts. However Ive been away for a while and now see theres all kinds of processors like the e8800 and e7200 models ( although the e7200 model is below the clock speed of a e6700 ). Can anyone give me a brief run down on these new models and how they compare? Also why does the smaller the nm number = the better and why?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Not up to date on processors

You haven't missed much... The nm reduction is just a smaller architecture... The smaller it is, the cooler it runs, and the less power it takes... which all in turn cause a faster machine. The 8800 if I'm not mistaken is known for it's large caches. Don't let the Clock speeds distract you... there are a lot more to them than just that.

If you're a big OCer... than smaller nm is always better. Also, smaller nm usually means it's cheaper to mass produce too. So it's better and cheaper, that's exactly what you want!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Not up to date on processors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake91839 View Post
You haven't missed much... The nm reduction is just a smaller architecture... The smaller it is, the cooler it runs, and the less power it takes... which all in turn cause a faster machine. The 8800 if I'm not mistaken is known for it's large caches. Don't let the Clock speeds distract you... there are a lot more to them than just that.

If you're a big OCer... than smaller nm is always better. Also, smaller nm usually means it's cheaper to mass produce too. So it's better and cheaper, that's exactly what you want!
Nicely put

Yeah nm doesn't increase performance at all, but enables them to be clocked higher and usually lead to better over-clocks. Yeah pretty much any modern CPU will do fine. Seems GPUs are falling behind CPU performance these days.
Closed Thread