Not sure of my next buy - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to LegendBreath
Default Not sure of my next buy

Hi there!
Need your help once again
I'm not sure what to buy next, currently my system is the following:
- ASUS A8N-E Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4 Ultra
- AMD Opteron 144 Processor S939 Venus 1.8GHZ 1MB L2 Cache 90NM 64BIT
- OCZ Performance Series REV3 PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 CL2-3-3-6
(I'm such a lazy guy... copy pasting, eheh)
- EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600 GT KO 580MHZ 256MB 128BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3

Ok so now, what would do the biggest difference on that system? Like for example if I put 2GB of ram, would it run faster than if I put another CPU?

Thanks for your help, and don't answer things like: change everything, or blah blah blah... lol

BTW: I am a gamer.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
j12
Monster Techie

ok i don know how you are gonna put another cpu unless u get another mobo, or get dual core. you can go for another gig of ram. and save your money until dx10 comes out then get a high end video card.

Laptop:
MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Desktop:
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Old 10-18-2006, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Man, if you didn't know, it is socket 939.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

the ram is fine, I'd say, the amount of that doesn't have as large an impact as an upgrade to another component might be, I'd say the best upgrade for you, even in a gaming aspect is getting a dual core processor, I'd say an opteron 165.

I don't know if you overclock alot, but either way it's a nice processor and will almost gauranteed run your games better for the mere fact that it's going to take the load off one of the cores to run the usual background programs.

and if you overclock, well, as you might have experienced with your 144, these are some of the best overclockers out there if you get a good stepping, which is fairly common in my experience.
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Processor:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Retail Core 2 Duo X6800[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] Week 26/B2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]RAM:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]VGA:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 1x eVGA 7950GX2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Sound Card:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] SB X-Fi XM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]HDD:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0/1x 500GB WD Caviar[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Optical:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Plextor DVD-R DL PX-716AL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Speakers:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Logitech z-5500[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Fans:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 9x YL D12SM-12[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Lime\"]Water-Cooling:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MCP355 w/AlphaCool top/PA120.3/AQX MP-05 SP LE/Silverprop Cyclone NexusSX chipset block[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Well, I never found out how to overclock, eheh :P I don't understand the 64BIT overclocking, and the RAM timing. Would I get a good overclock with my current setup? Even with RAM?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Console Gamer

i second the opteron 165 last time i checked it was $160
Red Devil 480 / Corsair R270
Sandisk 960GB SSD / 2x Seagate 8tb, 2x WD 4TB
Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yeah well that's USD, I'm in Canada and I don't have a big budget, eheh. Well it might be in my budget...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

yes, if you have a good stepping, I don't know about your particular bios, so I wouldn't be quick to suggest anything, usually you find Jumperfree configuration, switch the FSB setting, normally the first option to manual, and it'd probably be set at 200 by default, increase in increments of 5 FSB, and find the Vcore setting, and switch that to manual, don't change the multiplier, you should see the voltage for the CPU there, I wouldn't recommend raising it too much at all for your first time say 1.375 instead of the default 1.35, and keep it there, just to give a little overclocking headroom, you'll want to exit and save each time until you reach your desired overclock, I'd say maybe a 400mhz overclock isn't too much trouble for your processor.

In any case, good luck with your future endeavours, I have to run now.
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Processor:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Retail Core 2 Duo X6800[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Blue\"] Week 26/B2[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]RAM:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x1GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]HDD:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0/1x 500GB WD Caviar[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]Optical:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] Plextor DVD-R DL PX-716AL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=\"Lime\"]Water-Cooling:[/COLOR][COLOR=\"Black\"] MCP355 w/AlphaCool top/PA120.3/AQX MP-05 SP LE/Silverprop Cyclone NexusSX chipset block[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Old 10-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
I'd say maybe a 400mhz overclock isn't too much trouble for your processor.
Really??? Even with my RAM. BTW: Thanks for your infos
Old 10-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

Hah, yeah, your ram should be alright, OCZ is a nice company for overclocking, my impression was the amount of ram doesn't have an impact on overclocking, just the timings and characteristics of that particular brand, I had 2x512 OCZ platinum in my opteron 165 rig and overclocked to 3 ghz with little problem, though I had an exceptional stepping.

Ah, my sister's yelling, gotta run.

[/SIZE]
Closed Thread