Nosboost 300's Review on: Asus P5N32-E SLi Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosBoost300

I poop on the rug
hrmmm welp first day i got this board.. it fired up well... had everything running nicely stock... decided one day to try to give my CPU an oc'ing.. being that i love getting my monies worth!!!

Specs for the Rig used were in my sig

First i was pretty confused on the new way everything seemed to go w/ the FSB's.. i really wasnt used to QDR fsb when after using the gigabyte DS3 and msi 975x PPU

anyway.. qdr is pretty pretty much your usual (the old way fsb seemed to be) times 4...

so lets say i'm trying to achieve 2.8ghz (2800 divided by 9 = 311.11... so roughly 312fsb). Now it would end up being 312 x 4 = 1248 QDR... so running your ram 1:1 would now end up being ddr1248... which sucked.... but there was in independent ram speed configuration if need be.. but i just left it on SYNC... assuming that is the regular 1:1 ratio.. which i'm sure it is...

okay.. now this was a weird board... did 1200+ QDR just fine.. but right after 1299 (being 1300 and up) there was just no possible way w/ booting.. no matter what voltage i used on N. Bridge, S. Bridge, CPU, and all that good stuff.. just not possible...

so i tried skipping ahead... tried going at 1500 QDR (375 FSB... 3.375 GHZ)... seemed to boot just fine... but... wasnt 3d benchable unless ran at 1.45v... which is just plain nuts and madness.... shouldn't need that high of voltage to run an overclock such as that one....

moving on.. i tried taking it even higher... but the mobo even though has the option of 1.5v and up.. does not allow you to use it.. i set it to 1.55 to run 1550 QDR ... and when i checked for voltage during windows, it was only rated at 1.45 still.. doesnt seem to want to go any higher... so overclocking any hgher than 1500 seemed just impossible w/ a quad core....

This board.. just doesnt seem to have been made for quad cores... so thats a no go if you plan on going quad...

and another thing...

MANY RAM PROBLEMS!!! If you have ram thats standard is higher than 1.8v, you MAY not be able to boot up... as i've had this problem many times!!!

i've had the ram problem occur 3 times since owning the board.. which is only about a month!!! not a good thing... and the Bios chip has been known to fail... ASUS has sent 1,000's of replacement Bios chips.... so watch out for that one!

Pro's:

-has plenty of option for overclocking... seems very similar to the p5b deluxe that i've worked w/ once before

-board looks awesome, black pcb!

-3 pci-e slots, great for future-ability

Con's:

-Failed on me 3 times... still down

-Dud at overclocking quad cores....

-Freezes on ASUS start-up screen at times

-PCI Slots did not seem to match up w/ my thermaltake armor case... felt forced to screw in graphics card and sound card

-ASUS forums are a joke.. moderators try to blame all other components besides the motherboard... and not only that.. i've had a topic up for a day and a half now..and still no reply

my rating.... 1.5 out of 5

reason i give it a 1.5... was cuz when it did work... it worked OKAY.. nothing spectacular... but okay....

hmm.. bad board huh.... well with a quad-core anyways...

so what are u gonna replace it with?

most likely an x38... and depending on how the 790i's do... i'm getting over using SLi....

if i manage to get this board to work, i'll be getting an e8500 or something for it.. and shoving the q6600 in the x38.. maybe pick up a 3870x2!!!! :p

got my 400 dollar bday money coming in end of the month!!! and a paycheck around the same time!!!

lol this specific ram is even on its Compatible ram list

and this ram ain't so bad, taken it a lil beyond ddr1000 already, so its doing okay... ain't no crucial ballistics or nothing.. but i can't complain so far

can't read it.. i'm at work

filters out "games"

and i won't complain about my ram.. got it 75 shipped when at the time costed much more

that's a pretty dumb comparison.

OCZ makes great RAM

Their Reapers and Titaniums would be more comparable to the Crucial Ballistix and they are cheaper. I agree that the Crucial Ballistix are the best bang for the buck, but his idea that $56 RAM > $130 RAM is not really valid, because you can get OCZ ram for cheaper than $56 that would produce the same result when overclocked. You can get a pair of Reapers for $41.

i just noticed my sig said platinum!!! i meant titanium! so i changed it :p

and has anyone else noticed that you can get 2gb's of value ram for 40 bucks o_O

i needa buy me some cheap value ram so i can change the bios settings.. but i have no monies in the account...

so hopefully.. i can find some somewhere for really cheap as i only have cash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom