Noob question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I only just thought about this properly, im sure i'm correct in saying the GTX295 has two GPU's, therefor in effect the GPU's are SLI'd but on one card. So my question is, do i still need an SLI mobo even though it will only use one slot ? It probably sounds stupid, but for all i know it might require something else like extra bandwidth only available on SLI motherboards with 2x PCI-E x16 slots.

So in effect, what i'm asking is if the card will operate properly on my motherboard. (I like to check before spending so much money..)

edit:

Silly me, my mobo's not in my sig. Hangon..

it's something along the lines of EP35-DS3, one of them kinda models :p

That's an interesting question, I'd like to hear the answer to this.

Yes there are two GPUs on the 295, and no you do not need an SLI mobo for it. :) OK I'm basing it on the fact that I've used a friends 4870x2 on my totally non-SLI non-Crossfire P5Q without a problem, so maybe you need to look into it further.

So it will work with any old PCI-E x16 motherboard ?

That sounds odd. Because i would of thought two gpu's would send alot more data through the PCI slot than it was designed for, hence my question.

The gtx295 has a built in sli bridge. There is no need for a sli capable board.

Of course when you want to run 2 for quad sli you will be out of luck. :)

I won't be doing that for quite a while :p

Some guy is saying that the dual pcb version of the 295 is junk and always has bugs and goes wrong, is he right ? 'Cus im struggling to find the single PCB version anywhere.

The single pcb just came out so it will be hard to find at the moment.

The one drawback I hear about the 295 is the heat. aside from that it is still the best video card on the market.

The single pcb just came out so it will be hard to find at the moment.

The one drawback I hear about the 295 is the heat. aside from that it is still the best video card on the market.

That and low bang for the buck, but that's usually an issue with the best card out :D

But you don't need an SLI ready board, and I think the Single PCB one is hard to find, my friend tried to get one, but then I ended up recommending two GTX 275's (which perform better, and is cheaper most of the time, but he then stepped up to two HD 4890's)

I'll try to pull up the exact models that are single PCB

PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board. It's the coloured board in which all data is transferred. Motherboards, sound cards etc. all use a PCB. The dual PCB has one board for each GPU. The single PCB has both GPU's on one board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom