Noob builder, help with parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krame

Solid State Member
I decided to build my own computer for the first time instead of buying one off the shelf. Most of the stuff I do or will do is some programming, microsoft office programs and battlefield 2 and 2142. I have a pretty good amount of knowledge in computers already and I'v edone a lot of research about pc building. Could you guys post up a list of basic parts to buy(especially the CPU, motherboard and video card) to give me some ideas, for around $600 - $700 range, the best bang for the buck basically.

im way to lazy to actually go to newegg and get you the links, but i cantell you what i think.

CPU: well this is kindof tricky. The best bang for yoru buck would be the core 2 duo. you will get top of the line performance with one. they are great cpu's. but if you are planning on upgrading in the future then IMO get an am2 cpu. opteron preferrably. because the next gen amd cpus are going to blow intel away. but if your buying for now, definatly get the core2 duo.

Vid card: 7600GS

Motherboard : if you go with the core 2 duo then there arnt to manychoices. just get the chepest most reliable one, not sure wich that is. just check newegg reviews. lga775 mobos are what conroes use. But if you do end up going with the am2 you will probably end up spending less. i recommend the DFI infinity. its a great overclocker and has awsome features.

Well, although C2D is the newest cpu on the market, since you have a limited budget, I will suggest you to buy a Pentium D since Pentium D has a huge price drop when the C2D came out. Also you can buy a Intel 945 Chipset Mobo for a fairly price range from $7x - $10x, plus a Nvidia 7600GS vga card, I am pretty sure it won't be out of your range even with 250 GB hard drive, DVDRW, and 1GB RAM (2x512). :D

Don't buy a pentium D, just get the Intel Core 2 Duo e6300, very cheap, and outperforms almost all competition, even more so when overclocked.

ascii_da_jun said:
Well, although C2D is the newest cpu on the market, since you have a limited budget, I will suggest you to buy a Pentium D since Pentium D has a huge price drop when the C2D came out. Also you can buy a Intel 945 Chipset Mobo for a fairly price range from $7x - $10x, plus a Nvidia 7600GS vga card, I am pretty sure it won't be out of your range even with 250 GB hard drive, DVDRW, and 1GB RAM (2x512). :D

No.

1) AM2 > Pentium D

The best pentium D you can buy will suck next to the best Dual core AM2 chip. either get the C2D or the Opteron/Athlon x2 AM2 that fits your budget.

2) Why would he want to buy obsolete parts?

3) 1GB (2x 512mb) is idiotic. For future gaming your going to want 2 GB, so buying 1GB (2x 512mb) is stupid. If you dont have enough for 2GB then get 1 GB stick. That way you can add alot more, based on how many slots your motherboard has. You dont want to limit yourself because you have some stupid 512mb sticks in there.

Intel Build:
Processor: Intel C2D e6300
Motherboard: ECS 965x
Memory: Corsair DDR-800 1G(2x512mb)
Video ard: Gigabyte 7600gs
PSU: Hiper 480w PSU
Hard drive: WD 80 gig hd
DVD Drive: Lite-on DVD burner w/ lightscribe
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5

The price before shipping and tax is about $700. For the this build I chose reliable parts that are less likely to be DOA, but if you want to save save a few dollars, then you can get a cheaper version of the video card and ram (saves about 60 however the video card i chose is silent and the ram is from a respected company)

AMD build:
Processor: AMD 3800x2
Motherboard: Epox nf4 am2
and use the other parts from the intel list

The price before shipping and tax is about $630. So you can spend the 70 bucks left over for 1) another gig of memory (2x1gig of course) 2) upgrade the 7600gs to a 7600gt 3) get a larger HD perhaps a 200+ 4) save it and spend it on your g/f )

have fun with your first build and good luck!!!

i agree with repulse on everything but the ram. wow just get 1x 1GB stickof ram. orif you want 2x 512 get really high end stuff.

3) 1GB (2x 512mb) is idiotic. For future gaming your going to want 2 GB, so buying 1GB (2x 512mb) is stupid. If you dont have enough for 2GB then get 1 GB stick. That way you can add alot more, based on how many slots your motherboard has. You dont want to limit yourself because you have some stupid 512mb sticks in there.

actually 2x512 is not an idiotic idea, because if he doens't intend to upgrade soon, then 1 gig will suffice. However i do agree that 2 gigs is more future proof and you will notice a jump in bf2 performance. even though 2x512 is less future proof than 1x1gig, its faster because of dual channeling, so massacreinfallx dont be saying 2x512 is a stupid idea.

well it is stupid compared to getting 2 gigs.

i dont see how you planon playing games with one gig. then when you go to upgrade your goingto have to buy ALL new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom