Non-Xtreme Intel Quad Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

In Runtime
So, I saw on newegg the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 for $1,600, the seemingly average budget for a whole PC for most people.

Does anyone know if they will come out with versions that are not the "extreme" and have a normal price for mid-high, not "extreme! i have all the money in the world" users? ;)

Except the blasting price [which is an intel's tradition since old times, their flagships always come with a blasting price of 1300~1600$ in the first couple of months] I would'nt even suggest buying it if it were cheaper, because this is just a "Pentium D Core 2 Duo" Edition, meaning, they did EXACTLY what they did with P-D, took two dies and sticked them on the same package [In P-D it was two Pentium 4's in one package and that made a Dual Core, in this time they took two Conroe dual core dies and sticked them together into a big quad core]

It's just lame, and you can see for yourself the great advantage of having the whole cores on one die rather than diffrent dies for each package of cores [the p-d to conroe comparsion pretty much summs it all]

So I say, wait for the "true" quad cores of intel.

-Jo

Benchmarks have shown great performance boost from Duo to Extreme though. I believe it was nearly twice the speed of the highest Duo processor. So it's not like you're wasting money on little performance gain; it's just too **** much to spend on a processor overall. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom