Non-Dual, Dual Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaxys

Baseband Member
I have a HDTV and a Monitor.
I want to hook them to the same graphic card, BUT - I don't want a dual monitor setup
[Cause I want to use the monitor for office work and HDTV for gaming/movies]

I want them both attached at the same time and I just want to switch whenever I want from using the TV to monitor or vice versa.

possible?

What's wrong with using them in a dual-monitor setup? It would achieve exactly what you're after.

Won't I have to, in that case, play the games in window mode and then enlarge everytime open a game such that it fits the tv entirely and doesn't come on to the monitor, and the same for office apps.

like I can't "maximize" anything or play it "full screen" anymore, I will have to constantly keep modifying settings in window mode - which to me is a hassle lol.

How do I select which is the main monitor, and even if games just work on that, what happens if I want to watch a movie - won't I have to move the movie screen as well?

I mean I have a GTX 295, so the HDMI would go to the TV, and DVI to the PC Monitor.
[Any suggestions on the monitor? Want 20 - <24 range, and 1920x1080 res (or higher) for office work, Photoshop, and gaming/video until I get the TV]

Looking at
Samsung SyncMaster 21" Widescreen LCD Monitor (P2270)
v.
LG 21.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor (W2261VG)

the LG's on sale, and they both have similar stats other than the brightness (samsung has 250cd, LG has 300; and LG has many more inputs (Analog, DVI-D, HDMI) while Samsung has only DVI-I)

LG seems like a steal, but as usual stats are just half the story... usually Samsung's picture looks better than LG even if on paper LG has better stats...

Can we set up a dual monitor, where one goes to one monitor via a reciever and the other one goes directly?

Monitor one gets a direct connection via DVI or HDMI from the graphics card.
Monitor/TV two gets a connection via DVI or HDMI from the reciever, which in turn gets a connection DVI or HDMI from the graphics card.

Can that work as a dual monitor?

---
And if one of the monitors is turned off, does Dual Monitor still take affect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom