Noise Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewels

In Runtime
Which component (or fan) creates the most noise in a computer? I want my next computer to be as quiet and as cool as possible, and I'm wondering whether passive cooling and other non-stock coolers would be worth the money to reduce noise (both CPU and GPU). I'm assuming larger case fans are less noisy than smaller ones.

Note: I'm sure water cooling is the coolest and quietest, but too expensive for my tastes.

If you want quieter fans, than get larger case fans. They spin at a lower rpm, making them more quieter than higher rpm fans, such as an 80mm. They also produce a greater airflow, than smaller fans.

It's not recommended to passively cool both the CPU and GPU. Things will just get very hot in there. Just get a very quiet cooler for both.

you could just use heat sinks but they wouldnt be enough to cool a whole system, maybe a low spec one

Basically the case fans are going to be the biggest noise maker as they are exposed to the environment. The fan on your power supply will be the #2 offender and whatever fan you have on your heatsink being the lowest noise generator due to being insulated inside the case.

Edit, this post took place in 2 phases, part before lunch and part after, posting at work can be fun!

Nah, i had a help desk call come in while i was in the middle of posting and had to walk away from the desk and then lunch time rolled around and i forgot about the post. The boss walks past my office all day long and just assumes im working. I'm only temping where im at right now so im relegated to the help desk guy.

lol im with veedub. workin in front of comp. in an office for 7 hours is...very very tedious. thank god to TF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom