No GT 220/ GT 240 on graphics list, good or bad cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Runtime
It looks like my graphics card might be fried so I'm just looking through some alternatives. I'm looking at the GT 2XX series at the moment, the GT 260 seems to be fairly priced. However I'm seeing some very cheap GT 220's and 240's and was wondering why they aren't on the graphics card list? Is there some reason these cards are so cheap, are they no good?

According to Philbar71:
GT 240 performs a tad faster than current 9600 GSO's (the good 96sp one)

GT 220 is a smidg faster than a 8600GTS

GT 210, Well, it's basically a 8500GT/9400GT.

Go with a 5770 or an ATI 5xxx series cards. There's no point in buying Gt200 cards atm. ATI beats them at every price range now, and ATI's 5xxx are DX 11.

Thanks for the info.

Well I've always used Nvidia cards, a little hesitant to start using ATIs, but you are right the 5770 is cheaper than the GT260. I'm surprised that the new Nvidia cards don't support DirectX11 yet, whereas the ATI ones do. This may be a dumb question, but is there going to be any real difference if I get an ATI? Maybe just in the software?

ATIs weak spot has always been its drivers, but *apparently* they're alright now.

Also, the new nVidia cards haven't been released yet, which is why they don't support dx11 yet.

Hard to tell with the drivers; 4850 multiple monitor + OC issue hasn't be resolved and they've moved onto a new generation of cards.

But ATI's hardware and prices are superior to Nvidia right now, they're more future-proof and cheaper (for price/performance) so there really isn't many reasons to go Nvidia. Unless you want to wait till the end of march or later for Gt480/470. Which is disappointingly looking like a giant hunk of expensive silicon that could slightly out-perform the 5xxx series, but at a much greater cost. Hard to tell right now, hasn't been much info, and Nividia's been kinda sketchy, using wood screws on a prototype lol.

Hard to tell with the drivers; 4850 multiple monitor + OC issue hasn't be resolved and they've moved onto a new generation of cards.

But ATI's hardware and prices are superior to Nvidia right now, they're more future-proof and cheaper (for price/performance) so there really isn't many reasons to go Nvidia. Unless you want to wait till the end of march or later for Gt480/470. Which is disappointingly looking like a giant hunk of expensive silicon that could slightly out-perform the 5xxx series, but at a much greater cost. Hard to tell right now, hasn't been much info, and Nividia's been kinda sketchy, using wood screws on a prototype lol.

They had to use a mock up model then because they hadn't taped out A1 revisions of the GF100 PCB at that point. It was a marketing campaign move, not really a sketchy move, just standard business.

It does look like the ATI are a little better at the moment but out of curiosity will they be able to make full use of directx 11? I won't wait until the geforce 4 series comes out as I don't want to spend that much money at the moment. However, I could simply replace my current graphics card (an 8800GT) with something similar and cheap, then wait a year or so until the geforce 4 series comes down in price and get them. Or I could get a good card right now, in the form of the ATI 5770. I guess the question is will the 5770 make good use of directx 11 with games that support it, or would the nvidia cards coming out later make better use of it?

The question is not whether these current cards can handle the DX11...
The real question is "how long will it take games and developers to take advantage of DX11?"

I'm not sure if you'll see a good DirectX 11 title for another year or so.

Wel if I do decide to get a more 'top of the line' type graphics card then I would want it to last me at least 2 years, so I would expect by then there would be some DX11 games out. However I could just get a cheap replacement and wait until there are some DX11 games out before upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom