Next Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt4044

Baseband Member
I was planning on upgrading my CPU, but you guys have talked me out of it. I have about 200 set aside to put towards my pc. If I don't upgrade the processor, what would you suggest? My current PC:
ASUS P4G800-V motherboard..onboard sound and video
P4 2.4 Northwood 800 FSB
1Gig ram 2x256 1x512 PC3200
NEC 3500 DVD burner
18in. Viewsonic Flatscreen VG181
Plain Aopen case (It's an office computer so that is fine)
Not sure on the PS.
2x80 Gig Seagate 7200RPM drives ATA

My initial thought was to get a 3.2 processor to throw in.. but I have another post where the majority thought I would be wasting my money. My latest thought is to get a raptor 74 gig drive. This way I could move that to a new system when I build it. The plan would be to add another and run them in raid 0. I do not use the PC for gaming. I remote connect to it daily and run various apps. I do...do a fair amount of dvd ripping. Any thoughts are appreciated!!

I must've missed the first thread. What is your current processor?

Also, what is the purpose of the 2x 256 and 1x 512? Do you already have the 256 sticks or something? If not, I'd suggest going 2x 512 and dual channeling those. If that motherboard doesn't support dual channel, I'd suggest getting one that does. I think a 400W PSU would suit you fine.

The processor is a 2.4 P4 with the 800 FSB. You are correct on the ram. I had it in dual channel...and later added a stick of 512...I'm not sure I follow you on the power supply. I wouldn't expect to need something more unless I add more hardware...Did you mean to upgrade that if I did get the raptor drive?

You said you weren't sure on the PSU, so I made a suggestion. As long as I didn't misunderstand that and you meant the PSU in the case. Oftentimes, the stock PSUs in cases are crap. 400W may be a bit overkill, but it's always nice to have it if you upgrade again.

you dont have a video card?

If thats the case wouldnt that be a logical upgrade? just about anything is better then onboard.

Well I am not using if for games. The onboard video seems fine, but to be honest I don't know if I would see any performance increase buy using a card. If anyone could shed some light on that, it would be appreciated.

well u have a fast processor and enough ram since u not gaming i guess u can get faster hd but i dont know much pefromance u would gain cuase i dont have a raptor. look at soem bech marks and see if getting a higher processor is worthign or not.(ex. would riiping a dvd 2 min faster worth 200)

other then that there isnt much u can do an audio card?

edited(read what u using your computer for)

Get a 74 gig raptor and 1 stick of 1 gb of ram. Then you can add another 1 gig stick and have 2 gigs and a fast hard drive. You will se a big difference with those 2 things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom