Next Move: 2GB of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
Im thinking about getting 2GB of RAM as my next big upgrade...lol i just get finished with an upgrade and im already thinking about the next. My new mobo has 2 DIMM slots and supports 2GB max (kinda pathetic, but I dont plan on using more than 2GB with this mobo). So I will get 2x1GB DIMMs. I am thinking OCZ, what do you think?

Or should I just hold off on RAM upgrading since this is basically a "transition" rig for me anyways....something just to hold me over until I build a G80 SLI rig for Unreal Engine 3 games.

If you're implusive like me, you'll buy your 2 gigs.

lol - G80 SLI rig... "gaara & nubius" will have a field day with that one.

HEy if you've got the cash and that's what you want... I say go for it. You only live once...

lol - G80 SLI rig... "gaara & nubius" will have a field day with that one.
nah, most people know our stand on SLI....especially considering gaaras made a formal Anti-SLI sticky lol.

Anywho...I don't know why I didn't even notice this earlier...but you went and got a new mobo and that hefty graphics card and stuck with 754? Seems like you shoulda just gone with Socket 939 at that point, but I suppose since that particular board is utilizing the nf4 chipset then it'd be aright.

Doubt you'll be making that SLI rig any time soon so 2gb wouldn't be that bad of an idea, you just gotta decide if you REALLY need it right now because I'm guessing you'd mainly want it for games like FEAR, BF2, etc..etc... those massive RAMhog games...

so basically you gotta ask if it's REALLY worth the money just for that extra little smoothing...which I figure SHOULD be smooth anyway considering it's smooth on my system and your card is better.

Just make sure you buy RAM that will be usable in your upcoming rig.

buy it now and you dont have to later when your pressed on money to buy your new rig.
What if he decides to wait until M2 Socket which is going to utilize DDR2 memory.......then your point is no longer valid.

Waiting for the next socket would be the wisest thing to do if you're gonna wanna go all out to build a monster system for the next couple years of gaming

dont waste your money again man, you could jsut wait for the new M2 sockets, then you can freakin buy a new mobo and cpu and ram :D, then you use your exsisting 7800GT use it for a while and then when UT2007 comes out, sell your 7800GT to someone and then buy a G80 or whatnot :D

Perhaps I should have upgraded to socket 939, but i couldn't afford the additional $300-$400 it would have required to do it. Plus, why do that when there is not much performance increase with the change of sockets, plus I am going to have to build completly new in just one year of Unreal Engine 3 games, which ANY of today's systems will beg for mercy at UT2007.

Hopefully Unreal Engine 3 remains the standard for a while, or that other stuff that comes out isn't too much more demanding so we can have our graphics cards last a decent amount of time.

Stick with 1GB, even with those memory taxing games like FEAR I am fine running high details with some AA and AF with 1GB...mind you I do have a lot more CPU/RAM power than most machines out there but still, why should I upgrade my memory? FEAR and BF2 simply weren't optimized well in the first place...COD2 has a fabulous engine and doesn't eat up very much RAM at all

Add in the fact that PPUs are coming with their own dedicated core and memory, which removes a lot of your CPU load since it doesn't have physics calculations to deal with anymore

Besides the fact that I know you're jumping on the M2 bandwagon...buying more DDR1 at this point would be silly...I am personally not touching my machine until K9 CPUs and DDR3 hit the market as M2 is still K8 architecture and DDR2 is still crap...I think adding a PPU will make 1GB more than enough to last until 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom