Next Logical Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
I have a "decent" gaming computer (pertinent specs below). If this 'puter is used mainly for gaming, what would be the next logical upgrade for this machine? Here's the present specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom 8750 Triple-Core Processor 2.40 GHz (O.C.'d to 2.9)
GPU: 2 ATI HD3870's in CrossfireX
RAM: 4 gig DDR2 mem.
HD: 3 hard drives totaling 530 gigs. (80+150+300)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4

Windows Experience Index is 5.8 (don't really know what that means). In the real world I can play F.E.A.R. 2 on max everything settings and the machine functions satisfactorily. I can play Crysis on all High, but not Ultra High; it starts to seize up. Can also play Far Cry 2 all maxed. I'm not looking for the ultimate upgrade, just the next logical step up. Thanks!

TG

Toss up between GPU and CPU due to scaling. Id would put my vote on CPU personally. You could slap a tri Phenom II or quad Athlon X2 in there for cheap and unlock alot more performance outa your machine after some OC work.

Hey -
Thanks for the speedy reply. Couple of Q's:
What is scaling?
How do you work on overclocking your CPU? Never done it before. The guy who set my machine up set the processor up to OC. I suppose there is a lot of info on this on this site...
If I installed one of the said processors, would the machine have better performance in its stock form, or would I need to "tweak" it to get the performance you mention?
You know, another issue I noticed is my mobo is AM2/AM2+ compatible, apparently NOT AM3. That seems to reduce the number of options...

Thanks!

TG

Why not the 940BE for cheaper?

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCJ4DGI - Processors - Desktops

Im sure his heatsink he currently has should work fine. Easier to explain to somebody how to OC with an unlocked multi.

Also to OP,

Scaling is how well games utilize both cards in a multi-GPU setup.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about! You guys are great. BTW, my machine has a very nice aftermarket heat sink w/ two fans. Other things to note, this has 3 intake fans, 2 exhaust fans, plus the 2 on the heatsink, PSU and GPU's, so it has good air cooling. It also has on-board temp gauge in the HD bay. When it is working it's hardest the inside case temp has never gotten above 109 deg. f., and even that was extreme. When running modern games (like Far Cry 2) it runs some where above 100 but below 109.

TG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom