newbie in building a rig.. need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

duayne

Baseband Member
hi.. im just a newbie here in this forum. im planning to build a new rig sometime this early july. but it would be my first time to build a rig, so i need some help in choosing the right parts..

first, im not really a hard core gamer. i could say im just a medium gamer. so i dont need a high end graphics card. also, i want my pc to be a bit good in multitasking. but im not into extreme video editing or the likes. a medium-gaming and a medium-multitasking pc is what i want.

================================================

here are the parts that i have chosen:

mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

proc: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor

ram: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory (is it better if get OCZ becoz its better in OCing?)

harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s 160GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

graphics: eVGA Geforce 6800XT 256-P2-N381-TX Video Card (ive seen a lot of members here who has 6800GS(one of them is STATIC), but i cant find any 6800GS in newegg. and whats the diff between GS, GT, and XT)

dvdrom: NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI (is it better if i get a SATA 300 dvdrom rather than IDE)

keyboard/mice: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 Black RF Wireless Keyboard

case: im not into expensive ones, any good looking case will do

PSU: i dont have any idea on what to get

OS: Windows XP Pro x64 SP1 and soon to be windows vista if ever they release it soon

well, that's basically the specs of my future pc. if there are incompatibilities with the parts, or there are better parts out there which has the same price range (ex. GPU), kindly tell me.

thats it tech-forumers.. i hope to hear from you soon..

and oh, i dont know much about OCing... if ever ill OC, are my parts good enough? whats the advantage and disadvantage of OCing? will OCing cost you more money (due to additional coolers, etc.)?

-duayne

OCZ would be better if you wanted to overclock, but the board you picked isn't the best overclocker. Look into DFI for that.

The diff between the XT, GS, and GT is pipes/speed/etc. I'm no expert on video cards, but I do know that the XT is a crippled 6800, the GT is a souped up 6800, and the GS is slightly better than the GT.

duayne.com said:
hi.. im just a newbie here in this forum. im planning to build a new rig sometime this early july. but it would be my first time to build a rig, so i need some help in choosing the right parts..

first, im not really a hard core gamer. i could say im just a medium gamer. so i dont need a high end graphics card. also, i want my pc to be a bit good in multitasking. but im not into extreme video editing or the likes. a medium-gaming and a medium-multitasking pc is what i want.

here are the parts that i have chosen:

mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

proc: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Processor

ram: CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory (is it better if get OCZ becoz its better in OCing?)

harddrive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA NCQ 3Gb/s 160GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

graphics: eVGA Geforce 6800XT 256-P2-N381-TX Video Card (ive seen a lot of members here who has 6800GS(one of them is STATIC), but i cant find any 6800GS in newegg. and whats the diff between GS, GT, and XT)

dvdrom: NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI (is it better if i get a SATA 300 dvdrom rather than IDE)

keyboard/mice: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 Black RF Wireless Keyboard

case: im not into expensive ones, any good looking case will do

PSU: i dont have any idea on what to get

OS: Windows XP Pro x64 SP1 and soon to be windows vista if ever they release it soon

well, that's basically the specs of my future pc. if there are incompatibilities with the parts, or there are better parts out there which has the same price range (ex. GPU), kindly tell me.

thats it tech-forumers.. i hope to hear from you soon..

-duayne

I guess everything looks ok. Here is what little wisdon I can pass on to you:

When you are making the final decision on the processor, check to see what the "sweet spot" of Ghz vs. price is. Processor pricing goes down as newer and faster procs come out.

I like Seagate HDS - great support and 5 year warranty-I use them almost exclusively.

SATA is still new for CD/DVD drives. I don't think there is a great advantage in having one...yet.

Buy as good a quality case as you can afford-but I don't spend lots of money on a case. If you want a cool case, buy a plain one and mod it. (PM sent)

Buy a good power supply-everything is depending on it. You can find a pretty good PS for around 35-50 bucks.

You might want to rethink Windows XP Pro 64bit. I do not have any experience myself, but from what I hear in the forums it's plaged with driver issues. You might want to go with XP Home if you don't need Pro for it's networking and Web extras.

Just my two cents...

For PSU Get an Antec 480Watt its not overpriced and will do the job pretty well ;)

Why buy/use x64bit? I heard only bad things of it, for now use the normal WinXP with SP2 till vista comes out then we'll hear whats next.... also, why buy? ... IF you get what I mean ;P

Third, if you into any kind of multitasking, or not intending to upgrade this computer anytime near why don't you go with a nice X2 proccesor [CPU.. dual core one]

when the multi-threaded games comes out it'll do lots better than a regular one core CPU.

macdude425 said:
OCZ would be better if you wanted to overclock, but the board you picked isn't the best overclocker. Look into DFI for that.

The diff between the XT, GS, and GT is pipes/speed/etc. I'm no expert on video cards, but I do know that the XT is a crippled 6800, the GT is a souped up 6800, and the GS is slightly better than the GT.

thanks for the reply...

im not really into OCing, but i might give it a try.. :)

if ever i would want to OC, is this a good board your referring to?

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard

Re: Re: newbie in building a rig.. need help...

bigbaddog said:
I guess everything looks ok. Here is what little wisdon I can pass on to you:

When you are making the final decision on the processor, check to see what the "sweet spot" of Ghz vs. price is. Processor pricing goes down as newer and faster procs come out.

I like Seagate HDS - great support and 5 year warranty-I use them almost exclusively.

SATA is still new for CD/DVD drives. I don't think there is a great advantage in having one...yet.

Buy as good a quality case as you can afford-but I don't spend lots of money on a case. If you want a cool case, buy a plain one and mod it. (PM sent)

Buy a good power supply-everything is depending on it. You can find a pretty good PS for around 35-50 bucks.

You might want to rethink Windows XP Pro 64bit. I do not have any experience myself, but from what I hear in the forums it's plaged with driver issues. You might want to go with XP Home if you don't need Pro for it's networking and Web extras.

Just my two cents...

oh ic. so xp pro 64bit is not stable yet? hmmm.. but ive heard somewhere that its better to have a 64bit OS to fully use the potential of x64 procs...

....and i quote: "To fully maximize the power of the processor you should be using Windows XP Professional x64 Edition:)(Not 64-bit Edition, it was design for IA-64 Architecture of Intel; Intel Itanium), Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition, or Linux 64....

thanks for the wisdom.. :)

Yoad said:
For PSU Get an Antec 480Watt its not overpriced and will do the job pretty well ;)

Why buy/use x64bit? I heard only bad things of it, for now use the normal WinXP with SP2 till vista comes out then we'll hear whats next.... also, why buy? ... IF you get what I mean ;P

Third, if you into any kind of multitasking, or not intending to upgrade this computer anytime near why don't you go with a nice X2 proccesor [CPU.. dual core one]

when the multi-threaded games comes out it'll do lots better than a regular one core CPU.

haha.. of course ill not buy an OS... :) torrents will do.. :)

is this the antec you're talkin about?
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-480 BLUE 480W Power Supply

i still cant afford to buy X2 procs as of now. im still a bit limited in budget. maybe after a year when i decide to give this pc to my younger brother. :) maybe that time, ill have a dual core and an almost high end rig. ill save money for it. :)

thanks for the reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom