Newbie building a high end gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
i recommend this build

cpu: q6600 g0 stepping
cooler: danger den or swift tech setup water cooling
mobo: asus p5k delux
ram: gskill hz's 2gb or crucial ballistix'
vga: 8800 ultra (two if u want depending on the srceen u get)
psu: silverstone 750w from strider series modular
hdd: seagate 500gb 16mb cache 7200.1 rpm (x2 or x3 how much space u need)
case: lexa black line
dvd drive: pioneer sata drive
screen: samsung 22' or 24'? ur choice if u go bigger get 2 ultra's for sure

Well so far my biggest problem is the Motherboard, so many people recomending so many different motherboards. With the Striker i have seen 10 people saying its the greatest board and 10 other saying stay away from it :S I hear good things about the EVGA but other then that the more i try to get into motherboards the more i get confused. The main criteria i am looking for is : semi simple to use/OC. SLI ready, and well good performance.

I do NOT recommend SLI right now...the only reason being that with SLI you can't take advantage yet of the excellent new chipsets out. If you want multi GPU solutions try the HD X2900XT's since in crossfire they are just as good as SLI 8800GTX's for cheap. If you go ATI with crossfire then you can use the excellent boards that are out right now, the P35 such as the P5K that was recommended. P35 supports crossfire but not SLI.

If you NEED SLi then the 650i or 680i are just fine but really they can't compete in overclocking with the P35's.

Also for just semi-simple OCing, SLI, and good performance the Striker is NOT what you need. The regular 680i board or even 650i board will suffice your needs..

I realise that 2900xt are good cards for their price, but they cant compete with the 8800 ultras, and this gonna be a high end gaming rig, so 2900xt's are out of the question. btw i hate being a newbie >.<

I realise that 2900xt are good cards for their price, but they cant compete with the 8800 ultras, and this gonna be a high end gaming rig, so 2900xt's are out of the question. btw i hate being a newbie >.<

Um actually the HD X2900XT's in Crossfire DO compete with the Ultras in SLI...actually some benchmarks i remember them beating them.

You see the R600 scales better in Crossfire than the G90 does in SLI...it's as simple as that

In 3Dmark06 two 2900's score around 300 points less than two Ultra's...I believe they beat two GTX's.

Yeah the 2900 is known to fall in between the gtx and ultra. SLI is unecessary and you won't be able to make use of it on that tv. A single ultra or even a gtx will slip through any game like butter.

nope... its just hyped...

the regular evga 680i is fine if he wants SLi desperately or the p6n sli Platinum is good too

um, YES it does OC better than a regular 680i board...go to xtremesystems and see for yourself...there are multiple people that have tested the Striker to be a better board than a regular 680i

know your stuff before you start rambling on about what you "heard"

edit* the P6N board is not known to be a good SLI board, many have switched to a 680i from those. apparantly alot of people have major complaints about them.

Um actually the HD X2900XT's in Crossfire DO compete with the Ultras in SLI...actually some benchmarks i remember them beating them.

You see the R600 scales better in Crossfire than the G90 does in SLI...it's as simple as that

In 3Dmark06 two 2900's score around 300 points less than two Ultra's...I believe they beat two GTX's.

yep. in some games the XT's out perform the Ultras, but in most the Ultras win.

but only 1 card is needed until you get into the 1900x1200 resolutions or bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom