newbie builder, looking for tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisG23

Solid State Member
I've got some good stuff coming from newegg, and am looking for some help to get it up and running. The goodies:

CPU: intel core i7 930
Mobo: Asus p6t deluxe v2
Ram: G.Skill 2Gx3 F3-16000cl9t
GPU: EVGA GTX470 R

Will be running windows 7 home premium 64bit, seagate 1.5TB x2, an antec 750w PS, and an antec 900 case.

My real problems will be the software. I really dont know how to update chipset drivers etc. Please help a newb. :silent: Thanks

Install your basic drivers from the disc on your first install, then when you've got your OS installed, go onto windows update and it will automatically update ALL your drivers, including chipsets.

Install your basic drivers from the disc on your first install, then when you've got your OS installed, go onto windows update and it will automatically update ALL your drivers, including chipsets.

You can't install drivers without having an OS... else how would you get them installed.

Best way is to use the cd for the mobo drivers, which usually include lan drivers, then go to the manufactuers sites... You can even do all that first, by putting on to a cd, or flash drive, and get the newest versions. OH install your A/V before going online... you never know what mght be scanning.

Chipset drivers are installed like any other driver, its usually a simple exe file.

Never use MS updates... the drivers are usually way out of date. Also, I go to the Nvidia site for drivers, instead of the card manufactuer, unless theres a very specific reason to get it from the manuf.

And welcome to TF.

Got it up and running. Started oc'ing it as well. Running at 3.5g. temps are around 43dC at idle, and 78 to 82 while running prime 95. Seems a bit high to me. running a coolermaster
v8. Is this about normal? cpu ratio at 20, 170mhz, 2.250v.... Any input?

try lowering the ratio to 19 and the mhz to 200. that will be 3.9, 20x and 200 will be 4ghz <-- that is the coveted overclock, if you can get a processor to 4ghz you are doing something right :)

also, dont leave things at auto in the bios,

adjust things like this manually:

cpu voltage
chip set voltages
ram voltage
ram timings
ram speed

uhhh

annndddd

make sure you have good airflow in your case

cant think of anything else

Status