Newb PSU Qs'

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffmedic12

Baseband Member
I've been researching for a new PSU. In my efforts I've seen alot of information on the subject. Question is (are), I calculated my wattage using the link somewhere else. The calculator figured my needs were around 280w. Now I know my current PSU is rated 330w, but what benefit would I get from a new 500+ watt PSU?. Why won't a 330 be good enoungh other than the fact that I'm close to maxing out and loading the PSU to it's limit? Do things run better or perform better (i.e.-video, CPU, overall speed) when your not close to the limit of the PSU? I know heating is an issue, but is there power bleed when a PSU is pushing it?

I'm still getting a new PSU. But curious on what happens with a PSU when it's stressed.

well having just stared to understand PSUs my self i know that wattage doesnt mean very much, jut make sure you have the minium anything above that will just be reduced to what is needed, therfor you would not beneft from a 500w.
what is inportant howver is the ampage, they say you should not have anything below 24A for a gamning pc, you should aim for around 30A (on the 12v rail), but if not gaiming i dont think anything below 18.

and also if you plan on upgrading moreso then get a hight wattage psu.

hope thats all right

ffmedic12 said:
I've been researching for a new PSU. In my efforts I've seen alot of information on the subject. Question is (are), I calculated my wattage using the link somewhere else. The calculator figured my needs were around 280w. Now I know my current PSU is rated 330w, but what benefit would I get from a new 500+ watt PSU?. Why won't a 330 be good enoungh other than the fact that I'm close to maxing out and loading the PSU to it's limit? Do things run better or perform better (i.e.-video, CPU, overall speed) when your not close to the limit of the PSU? I know heating is an issue, but is there power bleed when a PSU is pushing it?

I'm still getting a new PSU. But curious on what happens with a PSU when it's stressed.

Theres no reason to buy a new power supply unless you are having problems, IE< Restarting. Poor preformence, Etc. Or you plan On upgrading.

However since you probably have a generic (Came with Case) power supply, they probably are listing it at peak wattage, not continious.

So If you want a to buy a new power supply your Components would benifit only in that, there would be more room for expansion and that Voltage and amps are more stable. If you are really concerned you could get a DMM and test the voltages and amps on all your rails.

I was looking at upgrading from the point of gaming. I'm no longer able to run newer games (COD2) at the best possible res. or settings. On a previous post, I asked for advice on what to upgrade. Main thing was my video. But some also noted that PSU was lacking. Yes, the PSU came w/case. I'm just trying to do some minor upgrades to help improve performance before I have to build a new rig here in the next year or so.

How do you like the evga 6800? I was looking at this one:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=322276

Budget not really a concern. I'm willing to go with a PSU and video within reason. I guess maybe 120-180 on video and around 150 on the PSU.

Also I noticed the Gigabyte 6600GT required an Intel P4 Prescott processor. I have a Northwood. Does that make a diff? I know these are newb questions, but I'm learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom