New work PC

Yes- and no - If I keep any PC that has an Optical drive working I can download my software onto a thumb drive and then load it on the new machines.

I am still confused about the whole win10 thing. While I have been part of this community for some time- I am not a trained tech person. I understand hardware much better than software. So if I download that "Win10 media creation tool kit" what does that do for me. Does it actually download win10 so I can then load from a thumb drive the proper MOBO drivers, Etc. ? But I still have to activate Win10 correct?

Its really as simple as it sounds. If you have a Windows 7 home premium key, then install Windows 10 home premium. Use the Windows 10 to create a bootable usb drive that has Windows 10 home premium version on it.

The Windows Creation Tool web page has a guide on how you can use a USB drive to make a bootable Windows 10 install drive
10_guide.jpg

Edit; Use Windows COEM or Retail keys.
SLIC OEM, VLK and Enterprise/Education keys will not work

Correction;
It looks like you'll get just a vanilla type of Windows 10 whether you have home or pro version keys

Last edited:
Could this help you?
https://www.askwoody.com/2018/how-to-get-a-free-win10-upgrade-newly-updated-by-ed-bott/
yes, you can still upgrade your Win7 or 8.1 machine to Win10, and the license validation will go through, no problem, no “Assistive technology” required.

Microsoft knows the loophole's still there, although it officially expired in January. They just don't advertise it.
Remember that it's in Microsoft's best interests to get you off of Win7 or 81, and onto Win10. Whether it's in YOUR best interests — that's something you need to figure out for yourself.

Windows 10 .... It wants to be found and installed so it can rule them all

Last edited:
Edit to my reply:
Its really as simple as it sounds. If you have a Windows 7 key. Use the Windows 10 Creation Tool to create a bootable usb drive that has Windows 10 install on it.

The Windows Creation Tool web page has a guide on how you can use a USB drive to make a bootable Windows 10 install drive
10_guide.jpg

Edit; Use Windows 7, 8.0 or 8.1 COEM or Retail keys.
SLIC OEM, VLK and Enterprise/Education keys will not work

Correction;
It looks like you'll get just a vanilla type of Windows 10 whether you have home or pro version keys

Windows 10 .... It wants to be found and installed so it can rule us all

Last edited:
I refound this thread. I did end up going with a SSD on both PC's. I still hate Win 10. The networking sucks and has Three machines (2 new win 10 PC's each has a HP printer hardwired into them, and 1 older pc with win7). Neither of the win10 machines can "see" any of the PC's or the other printer that is not directly hooking into it , the win7 can see one if the printers.

Also printing, saving files, etc is a pita as Win10 wants to save everything to it's icloud, not to the PC itself. Didn't notice this until a month into using the new PC's.

I refound this thread. I did end up going with a SSD on both PC's. I still hate Win 10. The networking sucks and has Three machines (2 new win 10 PC's each has a HP printer hardwired into them, and 1 older pc with win7). Neither of the win10 machines can "see" any of the PC's or the other printer that is not directly hooking into it , the win7 can see one if the printers.
Make sure the advanced sharing settings are enabled for File & Printer Sharing, as well as make sure you're in the same workgroup, and "Private" network mode not "Public".

Also printing, saving files, etc is a pita as Win10 wants to save everything to it's icloud, not to the PC itself. Didn't notice this until a month into using the new PC's.

Disable or uninstall OneDrive extension.

OK - yep private network, advanced settings are enabled for file sharing and finding other computers on network and password is OFF.

I think the issue is - I cant find "homegroup" or "workgroup" - it does not appear in control panel or network settings. It this because I have windows 10 PRO?

Settings App -> Home -> System -> under 'Related Settings' on the right click "System Info" -> Advanced system settings on the left panel -> Computer Name tab -> "Change..." at the bottom -> dialog should pop up and should list what Workgroup you're in

Ok Got all that done - most settings were as you said they should be- but had to find the "Workgroup" stuff , so got that done ( thanks)- now both new win10 Pro PC's are on the same "workgroup"and networks - but the win7 machine is still not found and probably never will be as its does not have "work group" but rather "Homegroup" - LOL . Since changing the "Workgroup" settings in the new PC's - the new PC's do "see" each other, but only one "see's" the other Pinter. What a pain... and now the older win7 PC does not see any printer.

Back
Top Bottom