New Video card, what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha, well I could actually get the GTX 295...I set a price range that I WANTED to spend, but at my resolution, maybe I don't have as much of a choice.

Ok, if we assume price is of no concern...Gtx 295 or 4870x2? I know, I have a problem, but it's been a while since I've been in the loop.

meat_helmet, I did read a ton of reviews. Most people were iffy on 4850x2 drivers, but the overall consensus was that it pretty much did what the 285 does.

Well obviously the gtx295 is a better card than the 4870x2. It beats it in everything by a big margin.

The other thing you may want to consider though, is if you go a gtx285, you can get another one later. I only say this because quad-fire has problems (if you wanted to go that road later). Anyway if you want to go the gtx295 you wont have any problems on any game for probably a couple of years.

EDIT: Bah, philbar beat me too it, lol, almost exactly the same wording.

If I update my mobo. It only has one PCI-E X16 slot. I will probably go on with the 295, unless something else phenomenal is coming out that I'm currently unaware of. Simply because of my native monitor resolution. So I guess in terms of price/performance, the extra $100.00 is relevant in the 295.

The HD 4890's are coming out soon. There isn't much info on their performance yet but they supposedly score very close to a GTX 285 in 3dmark 06.

Yes, but gtx285s suck in 3dmark06. And ATI cards do well. Im not saying it wont be close, but 3dmark06 seems pretty outdated these days.

The r600's and rv670's were the ATI cards that did well in 3dmark06. The Hd 4000 series cards tend to score lower than they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom