A new video card and a new bottleneck. Advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGG

Beta member
I'm thinking about upgrading my system's video card sometime in the next 2-3 months. My only regret with my current build, which I put together about a year and a half ago, is that my video card is not Shader Model 3.0. I decided that I'd wait for the DX10 cards to upgrade. What I'm wondering:

Is the extra $150 for the 8800GTX over the GTS worth it? If not, any ideas on how long it might be before the GTX drops down to its current price level?

Secondly, does this upgrade even make any sense? If I were to make such an extreme upgrade, I'm guessing my processor or RAM would be a major bottleneck and really hinder the new gpu. Am I wrong? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Yea, it looks like it's going to be a bottleneck. What I would do, is save up and upgrade your system first. There is also going to be budget DX10 cards coming out, next year.

I have a x1800gto overclocked to x1900 speeds and I can tell you that my AMD64 @ 2.35ghz is holding me back a lot in games. I can turn the graphics up no prob but I have to keep the other settings down or my game will hiccup.
In games like FEAR I have to keep the computer settings at medium or every once in a while it will freeze up for half a second.

nagasama said:
how do you change the computer settings in FEAR?
i know how to change the graphics, but...?

There are graphic options and computer options, the computer one is on top...only thing you can do is click it to switch from low-medium-high-maximum. Not sure what it would do, but don't need to find out with my build :)

It's only a matter of time before I get another gig of RAM. If we're talking processor upgrade though, theres the question of whether I should put more money into socket 939. If not, and we're talking new mobo as well then I'm almost to the point of having built an entirely new computer.

eVGA's 8800GTX is 10.5in long. Some people say that it will fit in a standard ATX case (what I have), some say it won't. Does anyone know for sure? From the measurements I made it seems like its going to a really really tight, if not impossible, fit.

If you're going to spend that much for a graphic card, I'd say just build a new system. I think the C2Ds, especially the e6600 and x6800, are the only procs that can really handle the 8800s. If it fits it will be tight, but I suggest getting a full tower so theres a good amount of room to work with. It also makes way for more future upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom