New Upgrade Build! (Pics Soon!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHOOO! okay so my parts got here yesterday, and i was up till about 1 in the morning working on assembling it... and i took a BUNCH of pictures along the way... i wasss going to wait until my Tempest got here, but i got a message from the ebay store i bought it from saying that it had been recalled and wouldnt be here for another week... :(
so i started it anyways and just put everything in my old case for now... ill put more pics up once i get my Tempest... also, i (again) didnt bother too much with the wire management... both because this case isnt really built great for it... and because its only gonna be in this case for another couple days... so, i know its messy... but im writing from it right now, and its pretty darn amazing, so idc... haha... anywho... pictures!

DSCN0337.jpg

heres all my parts the way they came :D

DSCN0365.jpg

heres what i started with... my old M2N-SLI, X2 6000+, and Ultra X-Finity...

DSCN0367.jpg

ill be reusing my RAM and 8800GTS until the 9900 series cards come out this July... so i set those aside...

DSCN0373.jpg

got the power supply out, and my Zalman 9700 HSF off... ill be reusing it too...

DSCN0375.jpg

used the ArctiClean stuff i bought... and it worked reallyreally well on my HSF and my old chip... good stuff, and much easier than the alcohol wipes i used before... and theres plenty left to use later...

DSCN0343.jpg

busted open my new QUAD-CORE CPU... :D (btw, intel has some of the most infuriating packaging EVER... XD) im not going to be using the stock cooler... anyone want it? haha

DSCN0356.jpg

opened up my new Asus Rampage Formula motherboard too... like a Maximus... but better hehe

(continues ->)

DSCN0361.jpg

dropped my new Q6700 in... :laughing:

DSCN0364.jpg

put on the ArcticCooling MX-2 thermal paste... a big glob right in the middle haha

DSCN0380.jpg

heres a shot from above with the HSF on... dang thats alot of copper, no? :p

DSCN0383.jpg

put in my RAM...

DSCN0388.jpg

set that aside for a bit while i put in the new Silverstone Strider 600W...

DSCN0393.jpg

put the mobo into my case... attached the USB/Firewire, and an eSATA bracket in their expansion bays... and put in my video card...

DSCN0396.jpg

all the cables plugged in and ready to go! oh dear shes a messy beast tho... haha

well, there she is! sorry some of the pics arent that great of quality... it was late haha
well... i love my new parts so far, and i cant wait till my case gets here... let me know what you think, guys :D - RK

Wayyyyy to much thermal paste!!!

eh... i almost thought so... but it looks like way more in the pic than it was, i think... the glob wasnt very like... tall, you know? haha

its holding pretty steady at about 45C (bout 50C ish under load) @ 3.0GHz, which isnt too bad, i dont think... so i dont think im going to redo it... but if i really need to, i only used about half the MX-2, if that... so i have more... thanks for the concern tho :) - RK

Yeah um... half the mx2 is about 4 times too much...

And for a quad core you'll want to utilize the cross method of application.

From corner to corner with about a quater inch from the edge. Criss-crossing
in the middle.

That will give you best temps, and you only need about half a pea size drop for the whole thing.

Yeah um... half the mx2 is about 4 times too much...
And for a quad core you'll want to utilize the cross method of application.
From corner to corner with about a quarter inch from the edge. Criss-crossing
in the middle.
That will give you best temps, and you only need about half a pea size drop for the whole thing.

hmmm... yea, i did use a bit too much then... is it really worth redoing tho? whats an optimum temp for my setup, you think? is it that much lower than what im running at? :* - RK

Should be fine for the week or w/e until you get the new case, but please redo it then, You should be looking at temps in the mid 30's.

wow thats a lot of thermal paste...it should just be a little pee size dot in the middle or a very thin line...or a cross.

Is this your first build?

Edit: Why do u have a case speaker?

Should be fine for the week or w/e until you get the new case, but please redo it then, You should be looking at temps in the mid 30's.
wow thats a lot of thermal paste... it should just be a little pee size dot in the middle or a very thin line... or a cross. lol your not trying to glue it on...

wow, okay... ill for sure redo it then... thats a pretty big difference in temps... thanks guys, issue resolved :) - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom