New Triple SLI Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhym3z

Solid State Member
Hey guys,
I bought a new pc that ill be picking up this thursday, and i just wondered what i can expect it to handle like.

At the moment i have a
AMD Athlon XP3000+
512 Ram and
a 6600GT system which can run COD4 no probs and The crysis Demo at lowest settings with lots of pausing, but just about playable.
(this isnt the same with the full game though)

The new system that i have orderd has:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 1066FSB 8MB Cache Quad Core Core 64 Bit Processor @ 4 x 2.4GHz.

Memory: 2GB Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Ram

Graphics: Tripple Sli Nvidia 8800GTX 2304MB PCI-E Graphics Running In SLI Mode

Motherboard: Asus Striker2 Formula SLi nVidia 780I

Vista Ultimate - 32bit (will get 64bit in time)

I know Triple SlI isnt exaclty well supported, or SLI as a whole, but this machine is an investment more than anything, and one i can keep going for a few years with the odd upgrade if neccassary.

I just wanted to know a couple of things.

1. How much better will this pc be compared to my old one?
2. How can i expect crysis to perform?
3. What do you reccommend buying to make it faster? (im thinking 64bit vista with another 2gb ram?)
4. What new tech will be available that i can use to upgrade, e.g the new 9 series nvidia cards etc.

Thanks in advance.

Striker 2 only had 2 PCI-e x16 slots

Go 780i it has full support....but you do know that its virtually pointless to have more than 2 cards right now.

yea thats why its more of an investment than anything,
a system that i can still use a few years down the line.

Welcome to the Tech Forums!

Is it a Novatech Annihilator that you bought (meaning you are from the UK)?

To try and answer some of your questions

1. The most better! Just about anything today (save crysis) will run with everything on full, such that the framerate won't be an issue.

2. As well as possible right now (which is OK). The SLI drivers aren't great for Crysis, and benchies suggest that the tri vs dual SLI doesn't see much of a gain with current drivers. But as good as you could do for now, anyway. Turns out nothing can play Crysis perfectly.

3. I'm not sure how much of a gain that would give in gaming performance. Maybe in a year or so, you might find you need more RAM, but not at the moment, I wouldn't think.

4. Yeah there is the 9-series, but 3x GTX should last for a good long while. Besides. Over that, you'd need 3x 9series, which is a crazy large investment. (2x GTX + 1x9series won't work).

Good luck with the new rig. It should last for a good long while.

Striker 2 only had 2 PCI-e x16 slots

Go 780i it has full support....but you do know that its virtually pointless to have more than 2 cards right now.

Striker 2 is 780i. It has 3, only the 3rd one is PCIe1.1. Which won't bottleneck GTXs so its not a problem.

Thanks for that.
And yes its a Novatech Annihilator XXX.
Taken about a month to build due to a respec.

And thx for the welcome, loving the site, it isnt blocked at work! wOOt.

yea thats why its more of an investment than anything,
a system that i can still use a few years down the line.

So you're putting top of the line overpriced, high wattage hardware in a pc that you're not going to upgrade?

The best "investment" you can make in this field is to stay in the middle market and constantly buy and sell to keep ahead of depreciation. Everything else becomes obsolete too quickly for any single status of a pc to be considered an investment.

Basically, why buy more than you need for more than what it's actually worth just so that you will still have a "mid" level pc by next year?

You would be better off spending less now and using the money you save to upgrade later on. The 9 series is supposdely coming out soon so you would be able to upgrade to that later. Plus the performance you gain from triple sli isn't worth the cost. A lot of games still have issues with just regular sli.

Why do people continuously post questions after they built a PC? Are you just looking for bragging rights or reassurance that you didn't spend your money like a mad person?

Those are the only two reasons I see making it worthwhile to ask about hardware advice after it has already been purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom