New system build any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent-Blade

Solid State Member
Hi there, first post on this forum so be kind lol.

Right, I'm making a new PC from scratch just as a gaming rig, from the items I've listed below can anyone see any problems between items or can think of anything better/cheaper for the same amount.

Not really wanting to spend much more than the £1250, but would a low end duel core AMD be better than a 4k+?
Is it worth me getting the 32bit version of the Asus mother board?
Can get both Gold/Plat OCZ ram at about the same price, which is better for overclocking? since I'm hearing mixed reviews.
Ohh and before people surgest getting two low end cards instead of one high spec one, I'm wishing to later on get a 2nd card aswell as a more powerfull CPU :)

Processor
AMD Althon 4000+ (SD) £247
Mother Board
“Asus A8N32-SLI/Deluxe” AMD Skt939 nForce 4 dual PCI-E x16 , 3Gb/sSATA RAID 5 +Firewire +dual Gigabit LAN +8ch.audio +USB2 Dual Ch. DDR £139
Ram
“OCZ® Platinum Series 2GB DDR PC3200 400Mhz”, Dual Channel Kit with Enhanced Latency and Platinum Heatspreader £185
HD
“300 GB Seagate Barracuda® SATA 7200rpm 8MB cache” £100
DVD
Sony 16x DVD Drive (Silver) £17
DVD RW Sony DW-Q30AS Dual Layer (Silver) £30
GraphicÂ’s Card
“Leadtek Winfast 7800GTX TDH Extreme SLI 256MB” DDR3, PCI-E, Dual DVI, VIVO, Retail £380
Case
ThermalTake Soprano VB1000SWS Silver c/w 3x case fans +USB2 + +window £50
PSU
“Seasonic S12-600” ATX12V version2.0 PSU active PFC silent 12cm fan nVidea certificated £102
Total £1250

okj if you wanna oc than go for an opty what the price conversion to USD sorry tring to do HW also.....i would go with the dfi lanparty ultra bette rfor ocing another thin go for 1 gig thats also better for ocing and only BF2 really takes advantage of 2 gigs ... wait until the games need it then get it :D

Theyoyokid303 said:
okj if you wanna oc than go for an opty what the price conversion to USD sorry tring to do HW also.....i would go with the dfi lanparty ultra bette rfor ocing another thin go for 1 gig thats also better for ocing and only BF2 really takes advantage of 2 gigs ... wait until the games need it then get it :D

Looked into getting a 165(?) Ophy and dont seem to be able to get one anywhere in the UK :(

I'll be playing BF2 alot on this new system, so thats why I'm going down the 1G sticks route instead of 512mb, also for future expantion, so I can have a total of 4gb, over just 2gb (4x512sticks)

Thanks for your input though :D

Never consider the 4000+, either the 3700+ and OC it to 4000+ speeds or go low end dual core with the x2 3800+, which isn't really low end at all :)

Brtnboarder495 said:
Never consider the 4000+, either the 3700+ and OC it to 4000+ speeds or go low end dual core with the x2 3800+, which isn't really low end at all :)

Yeah had looked at the 3700, but due to the 4k being over £80 more, I though that would yelled the best results although both SD cores.

Now that I've looked I've noticed that a duelcore 4200 (2.2ghz but only 512kb cache) is only £12 more than a 4k+ single core.

I know the duel core is only 0.2ghz slower than the 4k+, but since it has TWO cores, is this the best bet overall for gaming (even though duel cores arn't used atm)

Remembering though I'll probs be upgrading the CPU in about a years time to a duel/quad core ;)

games now dont rally take advantage of dual core but if you wanna get that go ahead and if you get 4gb you bette rhope you have vista ..... XP cant handle 4gb it makes it slower

Theyoyokid303 said:
games now dont rally take advantage of dual core but if you wanna get that go ahead and if you get 4gb you bette rhope you have vista ..... XP cant handle 4gb it makes it slower

Wont be getting the 3rd and 4th 1Gb sticks till I get my 2nd graphics card/and poss upgrade the processor.

Was thinking of asking about OS, should I just stick with XP Pro for now, or ge tthe 64bit XP Pro (since I hear the 64bit version, is well crap. Vista's coming out this summer right? If so, might just upgrade to that in the future :)

XP Home/Pro works fine with 2GB of ram though right?

get the gold, it has lower latency. it does only come in 512 at 2-2-2-5 though... so you could only have 2gb total.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom