New System

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabloom

Beta member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have bought a new system and it still seems choppy and slow in some games. Any suggestions appreciated
Coolermaster Case (Nvidia)
1000 Watt Corsair Power Supply
Asus Crosshair II Motherboard
AMD 6400+ CPU
4 GB DDR2 1066 Ram
500GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD
750GB WD 7200RPM HDD
Card Reader
DVD Burner
Motherboard HD Sound
Dual SLI EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 898 MB Ram on each
CPU Temp Idle:24C Gaming: 31C
Motherboard Temp: 28C Gaming: 39C
Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

expensive pre-built it seems. Are you sure all the drivers are installed correctly and games have SLI enabled? What kind of games are you playing as some games don't support SLI well either.

What resolution are you playing on?

yeah i rekon, why didnt the just put a intel in since there are spending so much. wierd. yeah insure you have the latest drivers, and your sli is configured properly in games and in the nvidia control panel.

could it be his cpu? say in crysis if your running maxed out a 6400+ wouldnt be ideal for the rest of his system it would probably be bottlenecking.

Actually not a prebuilt. I built it. I plan on upgrading to the phenom but I was told that there are not really any programs out there that can use the 3rd and 4th cores of the processor its kind of a waste of money. I am playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Flight Simulator X, Stalker, etc.
Vegas 2 1920x1200 Flight Sim 1024X768. If you recommend any hardware changes please tell me. I went into the Nvidia control panel and SLI is turned on. Nothing for sli options that I can find. This setup cost me $1154 pre tax did I get ripped off on these parts?

sounds a fairly decent price for that PC, although you shouldve came to these boards earlier to get more advice before you bought it, make sure you have the 'optimize for SLI' or 'duel video cards' ticked in games. and make sure all your drivers are up to date.

Thanks. What configuration is best since I am getting ready to get a 2nd one maybe it can be the better of the two.

psu wat overkill lol and should have got a q6600 or dual core then e7200 or e8400. but thats in the past now i guess lol. did u over clock ur cpu? choppy could be due to unstable o/c.

My last pc had the Intel E7200 init and this one is just as fast and performs just as well. I got the 1000 watt psu because I have 6 140mm fans and 1 80mm fan in my case along with a slot cooler. I think AMD is just as good as Intel although some don't that's fine. And for the price difference its not nearly worth the minimal performance diffference. I am going to get a Phenom here in a month or so but this cpu should play games fine as no games can use the third and fourth core of a cpu yet.

UGH! I'm tired of people being ignorant!! THERE ARE MANY GAMES THAT USE 2, 3 AND YES, 4 CORES! Lost Planet, Half Life 2: Episode 1 and 2, Age of Conan, etc. etc.

Rant over.

Now, to correct your other misconception. The AMD counterparts to Intel is in their name. Such as an AMD 6400+ is supposed to compete with the Intel Core 2 Duo 6400ish range. So, in reality, the E7200 is actually MUCH better performance than your new AMD. Now I'm not trying to bash AMD because I love them and they provide good budget systems, but when it comes to performance, you could get an Intel E7200 and destroy any AMD dual-core. AMD has no new dual core CPU's available... they really need to pick up the pace in the CPU market.

EDIT: Oh and your PSU is very overkill. Even with that many fans, you could have gotten by with a 600W if it had not been for the SLI requirement. With 2 GTX 260's a Corsair 750W would have been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom