New SSD not being seen - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: New SSD not being seen

That doesn't even make sense...but ok.

I'm also having a problem with my networking. I can't turn on "network discovery" which is obviously the gateway to my router....

I sure hope this isn't a hardware related issue...

Blushing skin is whispering. slight of tongue, can kill so softly. Velvet lips sing lullabies, so satin sleek but still so costly
Old 03-28-2009, 11:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

oops, your right. i am getting tired, so my brain dont work well.

what i am trying to say is when you install vista only have the SSD plugged in, unplug all other HDD's while installing.

have you tried the latest drivers for your network controlller?

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Well you made sense, but the ideology didn't lol.

So weird. I've never had to get new drivers for my built in networking...stuff. Sorry its early morning here and I'm still having trouble getting my wireless card to work.

But my SSD apparently works. So thanks!

Blushing skin is whispering. slight of tongue, can kill so softly. Velvet lips sing lullabies, so satin sleek but still so costly
Old 03-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

is what he was saying is because you have a vista partition on your old HD that when you install vista on the SSD it is making your HD boot priority and installing the initial boot sequence on your HD and not your SSD where you want it that is why you can boot off the SSD when the HD is plugged in but not when it is not, vista has so many weird lil quirks like that its really annoying, that is what happened to me when i was trying to instal vista on a drive i was going to put in a friends computer it kept installing the initial boot sequence on my hd and not his

Thermaltake Armor
680i LT
q6600 (g0 revision)
736 mb EVGA 8800 GTX
2 gb crucial tracers
500 gb seagate 7200.11
TRUE 120
PC Power & Cooling 610
and a run of the mill DVD drive
Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb1swat View Post
I booted from the vista disc (took forever) and formatted my original OS partition and the ssd. I installed vista on the SSD and everything seems to be fine, but when I unplug my hard drive and try to boot only from the ssd it says "bootmgr error. press crtl+alt+dlt"

....not cool.
Does it say "Bootmgr is missing" ?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Yeah. Come to think of it that problem is still occurring. I'm having a PC crisis at the moment so getting the SSD to work has taken a back seat.

I believe i did fix that though. I successfully got vista onto the ssd once, but I believe if I plug in the SSD, right now, and try to boot with it plugged in I get the "bootmgr is missing. Press ctl+alt+dlt". I've since formatted the drive though.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

bootmgr is missing this worked for me
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Patron

I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet but I can tell you the work around which I discovered as I was getting the same error. I disabled the other hdd in the bios so that there was only one visible to be booted and although the install feels a little slow for a clean install on the netbook in question it will boot windows without the ntldr error. Also to fix the ntldr error standard procedure is to go into the windows recovery console and type in the following commands (assuming e: is the disk drive and c: is the drive code windows is installed on)

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

If that doesn't work then type in "fix mbr" and "fix boot" It seems to work 95% of the time unfortunately it hasn't worked for me on my machine but you may have better luck.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Burn

ya. i was having a problem very similar to this... anyone know why vista places boot files on hard drives that arent being installed on?