New to site: Need help with gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhythmMgmnt

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I want a new gaming desktop because IÂ’m sick of gaming on my laptop (bought for portability in college... can't really game on it).. slow performance (huge lag spikes when fans kick on to high, and thatÂ’s with graphics and innate resolution turned down). I also want a normal monitor and keyboard configuration because IÂ’ve realized I hate widescreens and staring at a laptop screen all day. Anyway, I want performance! I donÂ’t know all that much about CPUs but IÂ’m learning as I read on the forums, and the more I read the more questions I have. Any help you can provide is much appreciated. I plan to keep this laptop for anything other than gaming (and portability) so itÂ’s not like itÂ’s going to waste.

Current cpu: Dell Inspiron 8600 1.6GHz Pent M Centrino

1. AMD vs. Intel for gaming? I hear AMD is pretty much the choice for thisÂ…except for Conroe? Should I wait for that?
2. If AMD (AM2 vs. 939?) DonÂ’t really have a clue here what I should go for and which model Â… 64? 64FX? Ex: Should I go FX-62 or 5000+ X2?
3. Dual or single core? My thoughts are single core since if I just get 2 processors near what I have now whatÂ’s the point since most games donÂ’t support dual cores yet?
4. Graphics card? I have ATI right now and driver updates have always been a hassle and I get glitches everytime I play my main game (City of Heroes). Considering going to nvidia 7800-7900 GT or GTX.
5. Alienware seems like the best solution for gaming rigs. Any suggested systems for me? IÂ’ve heard MonarchComputers referenced many times here, how about those rigs? I see really cheap used/refurb systems on ebay and can get much more bang for your buck. Should I even consider these?

I have ~2000 budget for this PC. Not really interested in building my own rig, IÂ’d rather not risk breaking something .. IÂ’d rather just spend the extra money to make sure all the parts work correctly. DonÂ’t really want to overclock. DonÂ’t really want to risk damaging any of my CPU parts.

Sorry for the questions.. but thanks for any help you can provide.

FYI I did a little looking and hereÂ’s one I found on MonarchÂ’s site which seemed pretty good, but it is dual core and AM2:
http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...&Product_Code=90310&Category_Code=allnemesis2

Thanks!

Regards,
Dan

I would wait till Conroe comes out and go with AM2. FX is dual core and more expensive. 64 is single core and mostly for budget gamers like me.

Hi Dan!

1) As I type this AMD (gaming only)....in 60 days...probably Intel. If you can wait I would do so to see how this slugfest pans out.
2) a)How deep are your pockets? b) What is your objective. For gaming, decide what level of eye-candy and the FPS you are aiming for. Then find the harware that fits into your budget/catagory.
3) Dual core processors are up-an-coming and Quads are on the way. Game developers will most likely work toward this end.
4) I have used both ATI and Nvidia, I gravitate toward Nvidia for I have had the least "issues" with them, but bear in mind that this is both relative to model number and subjective to the application.
5) NO eBay! Big risk for a single high-end purchase. I have had nothing but success with add-ons and peripherals, but I have read some horror stories when it comes to complete systems (especially high-end PC's).

Dood! For 2G you could build an amazing PC that is easily upgradeable. The DIY pride, the knowledge gained, and the experience quotas are off the chart.

I realize that you may have aprehensions to building your own. But with a solid knowledge of the particular harware that you are going to use, patients and the ability to ask clear and concise questions along with the being able to follow directions... its cake!

Keep us posted as to what you decide, whatever it is, its gonna be awesome.

okay first of all go with the AMD, its better for gaming. Dont go with conroe its going to be way overpriced and all the old amd proccesors will be like half price. so i would go with the am2, its where the future is headed as far as upgrades go. Get dual core because gaming in the future is going to support it and you will get best performance. As far as Video cards you have a good idea get the 7900 GT or whatever you were thinking.

but ide build it myself if i were you

No WAIT, intel has moved the conroe release date to the 14th. You only have 9 days to go.

Ok, if you say so e6600 about $330, beats the FX-60 $1000 hmm, doesnt seem to overpriced to me..

well im sorry, not overpriced.

what i meant was you could probably get a Pretty decent am2 processor for about half of that in a couple weeks.

You know?

Thanks for replys so far guys.

What kind of savings could I experience by building it myself?

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom