New Rigz n Shizz Yo

Make it a weekend with the old ball and chain, or at least a day 's outing.

Fair enough, would be nice to get out a bit...

Anyway, did more research. Definitely going to go with the i5 3570k. Still on the fence about the 840 Pro, it's much more expensive than the 830, so I guess it depends on how my money flow is looking when I do this. 110 vs 160 is a big deal for me lol.

Picked out a new mobo:

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Went with the enthusiast series Corsair you linked, Cory.

Still stuck on cases. I think it's coming down to being between the CM Scout 2 and the 200R, the CM 690II is nice and all, but that Scout...it's sexy. I think it'll come down to what I can justify, the Scout is an extra 50 bucks after all. We'll see.

Oh hey, I wondered where this went. Thanks for the title, Chris, rofl.

So for the i5 vs i7, I see what you mean. I hadn't really read any benchmarks recently comparing the two and you're right, performance is very similar especially for my needs. I think part of me had a bit of a hard time not getting an i7 branded chip for my Intel foray so to speak, haha.

The 840, newegg was missing some info on the write speeds when comparing, so I guess I missed that. Back to the comparing chart.

Since all of the cases support reg ATX, I'll do another look at mobos. I originally happened across that one based on the recommendation of a couple review sites, namely guru3d.com in their "buyer's guide for the winter" article thing. I had compared the features to a number of other mobos but didn't find much of a better deal. I would prefer to stick with ASUS myself, so I'll take another look without limiting myself to Micro ATX.

I have a 660 now, I included that in the calculations...also included a sustained overclock to overestimate (I'm definitely overclocking, just don't know how much...assuming 1ghz just for pessimism's sake). I just did a re-calc of my full system (I allow for capacitor aging) and it was lower than before when I had the i7, originally had it around 538w i think, now it's saying 497w. I guess 650 would be alright then, I figured for the extra 10 bucks between those OCZ's I'd be okay. My main point of contention with those two (while awesome PSUs) would be the cost, but it's similar at least. I'll look into it more.

Fair enough, would be nice to get out a bit...

Anyway, did more research. Definitely going to go with the i5 3570k. Still on the fence about the 840 Pro, it's much more expensive than the 830, so I guess it depends on how my money flow is looking when I do this. 110 vs 160 is a big deal for me lol.

Picked out a new mobo:

Newegg.com - ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Went with the enthusiast series Corsair you linked, Cory.

Still stuck on cases. I think it's coming down to being between the CM Scout 2 and the 200R, the CM 690II is nice and all, but that Scout...it's sexy. I think it'll come down to what I can justify, the Scout is an extra 50 bucks after all. We'll see.
I don't know how you are getting your figures, but at 4.2GHz my 3960X barely took 120w, and a 3570k around 4.5 is going to take less than around 100w. The TDP on the i5 and i7 are 77w, so OCing will barely touch 100w. As for the GPU, the overclocked 670 will use more power than a 660 at 182w. Unless you have at least an AIO H80 or so I wouldn't go for 4.5ish on the 3570k. They do run warmer than SB. Then again, turbo on the 3570k is 3.8GHz making OCing pretty moot. The last 2 weeks I kept my 3960x at 3.3 and saw no difference between that, 4.2, and 4.5. CPUs are just crazy powerful now to what we are used to.

The 840pro is more expensive, but if you can find an 830 I would get that instead.

I don't know how you are getting your figures, but at 4.2GHz my 3960X barely took 120w, and a 3570k around 4.5 is going to take less than around 100w. The TDP on the i5 and i7 are 77w, so OCing will barely touch 100w. As for the GPU, the overclocked 670 will use more power than a 660 at 182w. Unless you have at least an AIO H80 or so I wouldn't go for 4.5ish on the 3570k. They do run warmer than SB. Then again, turbo on the 3570k is 3.8GHz making OCing pretty moot. The last 2 weeks I kept my 3960x at 3.3 and saw no difference between that, 4.2, and 4.5. CPUs are just crazy powerful now to what we are used to.

The 840pro is more expensive, but if you can find an 830 I would get that instead.

I always use this for PSU estimations:

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

I just jacked up the OC to 1ghz more and the voltage to 1.5 (again, pessimistic, don't think those chips would even survive that without serious cooling sustained), plus 30% for capacitor aging.

And I was thinking just going with the 830 would be fine myself. 840 Pro is cool and all but eh. Everything will be an upgrade to my stuff now for the most part haha.

Back
Top Bottom